Clean carb but no fuel

fsuroxu

Jan 26, 2010
Hartselle, AL
I can choke the carb, push the throttle when I kick it with the plug wire off and the plug in but when I pull the plug out, it is dry. Reeds also look good, no cracks or chips. I am at a loss, what else could it be?

what phragle said...clogged petcock mesh tubes inside the tank, or possibly a serious piece of dirt in the needle seat/valve in the carb

Gas flows from the tank with the line of the carb. I haven't checked the float valve though. How do I check the float level? If it is wrong, how do I correct it. This is a buddy's bike. He brought it to me and said he was getting no spark. I changed the plug and got a weak spark, so I changed the CDI box and now the spark is good but I have run into this no gas thing. He is giving me an LT230 for the work I am doing, so I want to get this done quickly. Thanks for the help guys, there are always several members willing to help someone in need like me.

Gas flows from the tank with the line of the carb. I haven't checked the float valve though. How do I check the float level? If it is wrong, how do I correct it. This is a buddy's bike. He brought it to me and said he was getting no spark. I changed the plug and got a weak spark, so I changed the CDI box and now the spark is good but I have run into this no gas thing. He is giving me an LT230 for the work I am doing, so I want to get this done quickly. Thanks for the help guys, there are always several members willing to help someone in need like me.

try this... hook the fuel line to the carb with the bowl off, turn on fuel and see if the fuel flows out.... iv seen the fuel inlet tubes on carbs plgged up before

you've gotta still have something in there clogging stuff, pilot jet maybe, tear it completely apart,all jets, floats, needle valve, float valve and all out, carb clean it all, and blow out with compressed air, theres gotta still be dirt or gum in there somewhere

Last edited:
squirt some in the hole, maybe you think its no fuel but its something else too.or take the filter off and squirt some brake clean down the tube with the throttle open. NO fuel is the easy one.

brake clean?? That would remove any remaining lubrication.... pull the float bowl and check the float operation, pull the carb off and stick your finger in the manifold and check the reeds. screw the airscrew all the way in and back it out 1 1/2 turns

float level should measure 20 - 21.5 mm to top of float measured from where the bowl gasket sits, < with gasket removed
tilt the carb slightly till the float tab just touches the needle, but doesnt close it, then measure

Is the carb plugged good where the oil injection came into it before it was blocked off? (with a vac. cap?).... Also check for an air leak around the carb cap/threads, and also around the choke lever.... These are all spots for air leaks.... Simple rebuild kit fixes that ($11)

My carb had air leaks, and it would rev and idle fine, but would only start with gas down the plug hole, the motor could not pull gas from the carb even though the carb was getting gas good, but it turned out there was a vaccum leak in my carb and once i sealed those leaks up then it worked great again.... Bike would fire only with gas down the plug hole but after it burned up it would quit... plug was dry, reeds were new, spark was good, but wouldnt fire on its own from the lean air leak....

Just a suggestion to check! Spray some carb cleaner all around real good and if it revs way up then you have a leak....

Took the carb completely apart today. Cleaned everything, float isn't cracked, float level is good, float needle looks brand new, jets are good, and everything else in it is spotless. Plugged the oil line inlet. No air leaks. Still the plug remains dry when I kick it over. I am about to give up. I'm getting a full FMF Power Core exhaust for the work and a few parts though, so all is not lost. Thanks for all your help along the way guys. I will give all of you rep tomorrow.

Are the reeds opening and closing properly? Can you see any light through them if you hold the cage up in the air??

Did you check the whole motor , intake, exhaust etc etc etc.... for air leaks?