case repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

sicivicdude

Apr 7, 2010
North Carolina
First off, many thanks to YFS101.

I embarked on a project today... I have a set of cases which had a piston explode inside and had been broken out in a few places. Most of the stuff inside was fine and survived rather well but the cases would have to be replaced if the engine was going to be used, or so I thought.

YFS101 mentioned that harbor freight sells "welding rods" for aluminum and he's used them before to fix oil drain plug holes which had been stripped out. In this thread:

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/so-im-bit-pickle-36987/

I decided to see if the welding rods would work for more than just a drain plug.

I bought these rods:

Pack of 8 Alumiweld Aluminum Welding Rods

From the local harbor freight. I used the information provided in the posts listed in that other thread because, in typical HF fashion, there were NO instructions with the welding rods.

The first impressions were not impressive. The rods are in a little plastic tube, they are off color (looks oxidized), and there's just not much to them. I also bought a stainless wire brush per the alumiweld website.

I got out the propane torch and began by melting a little bit of the rod to see how much heat it took. The website specifically warns against directly melting the rod. I was just testing and then I cut that little piece off. With the propane torch it took about 6 seconds to melt the rod with the center of the flame on the rod. Even when it melted it didn't really melt, it sort of got soft and then drooped until a little pool fell off.

I can tell everyone already, a propane torch isn't enough heat to do this efficiently... I went and got out the oxy-acetylene torch and a #2 welding tip. It worked a LOT faster (what you could expect to be a normal amount of time). The welding rods are also not truly welding rods either, they're more like brazing rods. The rod takes to the material without melting the base aluminum.

I can also say that you need quite a few more tools than just a wire brush. I know the website says not, but that's not realistic. You need a dremel tool with a carbide burr and a small diameter sanding drum, MANY stainless brushes, a set of welding gloves, and some gas welding goggles.

The case set I have has several types of breaks, chunks missing, and mushed areas so we have plenty of testing to do.

I started with the least damaged side. It had a piece broken out and missing about the size around of a pen and then a crack at the very bottom of the case about a half an inch long. I took the dremel tool and burr and cut a groove out so there was room for the material to fill into. I also sounded the outside of the case so that the "broke" part was flush with the rest of the case with a groove cut down the break.

I started heating the case with the oxy-ace torch and melted a big glob of welding rod into the hole which didn't stick to a darn thing. I nearly got discouraged and stopped but decided to watch the video again to see what they did to get it to take. I figured out I needed more heat on the material to be welded and less on the rod and to use the brush to get it some of the welding rod to take to the material and then add some fresh to fill it in.

I decided to work on the crack and let the other blob cool before I tried to pull it out.

I worked the crack very hot (hotter than I would felt heating aluminum unless I was trying to weld it)

I got the case so hot welding the crack I sweated the bearing out of the case, it just fell right out.

I worked the crack over and over getting the heat and wire brush balance worked out to get the welding rod to take to the case. I wire brushed the welding rod back out of the crack many times just to get some practice before I tried to attack the missing chunk head on. I think the end results speak for themselves:

SANY0004.jpg

SANY0003.jpg

The hole is located in the worst possible place too... right between the crankcase and the balancer shaft (right where the case gets thin)

In order to build up enough rod to "make" some case, I needed a backer plate so I cut a thin piece of steel and clamped it inside the crankcase with a pair of vise grips.

I think the weld there turned out VERY well too. I didn't even weld the inside of the crank case, only the outside and then drum sanded the inside clean. You can see the extent of the damaged area on the "inside" picture. It's about as big around as a sharpie marker:

SANY0006.jpg

SANY0008.jpg

SANY0009.jpg

I am a convert... I'm going to work on the other side maybe tomorrow. I'm going to take "before" pictures before welding on the other side.

nice, we have used this stuff for alot of things, its defently tricky to get used to but works well when u get it, just got make sure to scratch it good enough to bond to the unoxidized aluminum...u can also pick them up at home depot, they are 4 rods for 5 bucks

Have you used it for case repair?

I wouldn't have pitted it against cases but I think I'm going to run these cases when they're done... just to test.

I bought them 8-18" rods for $15, not quite as inexpensive but not far off either. The website that sells the HBT-2000 rods says they don't even need the stainless brushes, you can use any material brush as long as it's new.

Have you used it for case repair?

I wouldn't have pitted it against cases but I think I'm going to run these cases when they're done... just to test.

I bought them 8-18" rods for $15, not quite as inexpensive but not far off either. The website that sells the HBT-2000 rods says they don't even need the stainless brushes, you can use any material brush as long as it's new.

we have used it on a few cracked cases but nothing like a hole in a case...but im sure it will hold no prob at all...the stuff is harder to grind on than the aluminum itself when properly "tinned", we have only ever used the stainless brushes, everything else stuck to it real bad, but it is good stuff for quick aluminum fixes

I noticed it's harder than the aluminum.

I'm going to put it to the TEST tomorrow. The other side of the case is missing a piece the size of a quarter. It'll have to be built up quite a bit and then sanded down a lot.

That company advertises the alloy they use has 9 components instead of 3 and doesn't require the stainless because it tins easier due to different mix. It's also more expensive... $65 for 1 lb (which is about 25 sticks according to them)

I noticed it's harder than the aluminum.

I'm going to put it to the TEST tomorrow. The other side of the case is missing a piece the size of a quarter. It'll have to be built up quite a bit and then sanded down a lot.

That company advertises the alloy they use has 9 components instead of 3 and doesn't require the stainless because it tins easier due to different mix. It's also more expensive... $65 for 1 lb (which is about 25 sticks according to them)

ill have to look into those...it is a pain only being able to use stainless brushes...lol we just buy the cheap 15 pack of them

i may have to look into this i have a case that has a small chunk out of it. i think i still have the piece though.

its the same place/size as the one you had between crank and balancer.

have some rep BTW

I need to find some cheap stainless brushes, it chews through them doing it with this stuff.

Brandoz, do you have at least a mapp torch? I'd hate to think about trying to work with this stuff with a propane torch, it would take a hour to get enough heat in it to get it to take.

I can use an oxy/acet torch at my parent's place. i might get a Mapp one for up here at the house though

The only way to repair aluminum cases with strength is to use a welder set up to weld aluminum.
With that said your fix will probably be fine since it's not load bearing.
The problem with using a torch to do it is your removing the temper on the case and your actually brazing.
The same results could have been achieved by using an epoxy like flex steel without all the issues associated with sanding/milling aluminum.
Before you get all defensive like alot of peeps as of late realise I'm stating my opinion based on my own personal experience and I respect you.
I tried using these rods to repair a spindle on my lawntractor (the part that couples the belt driven pulley to the blade).
It lasted for a while but after 3 times I gave up.
I have a tig, and stick but they are not set-up with the reverse polarity to weld the silver stuff.

Yes, this is not a true weld, it's a braze. There is such a thing as aluminum welding too but the process is much more difficult and cannot be done on cast aluminum with oil impregnated in it.

The difference between this stuff and epoxy is that this aluminum alloy actually adheres to the aluminum base material instead of just "sticking" to it.

The material left is stronger than the base material so it should be able to hold up to the abuse.

I thought about buying the flux for doing true gas welding on the aluminum but figured I'd give this a shot before I dropped the money on the welding kit because you have to have a special set of glasses to gas aluminum weld because of the sulfur flare from the flux.

IMO what you did should last the life of the cases.
I only chimed in for noobs trying this on cracks/breaks around bearing retaining areas.

Oh oh oh, yeah I should have specified.

While I THINK this would also hold at a bearing holding location there is a LOT more stress on those areas than where I brazed this back together. I don't have a broken out bearing location so I won't be trying it there... but I would TRY this on that area too. Whether it works or not in high stress areas is up for debate... or testing.

If you want a more permanent solution, you could probably get the flux for true gas aluminum welding if it were a high stress area like a bearing hole. The problem with true welding is it melts the base metal and in this thin an area where the cases have to meet, I was afraid of melting out the mating surface and not being able to get the cases to meet up again.

I think is probably the best thing for the areas I did, including Tig welding. Tig hardens the base material beyond what this did. Lapping the cases once the mating surface has been hardened like that might prove problematic... I'm not sure about how it would work.

Brandoz, if you don't have a oxy-fuel torch, a micro torch setup can be had fairly cheap. It won't last long but the setup cost is significantly lower than a true oxy-fuel torch outfit.

Amazon.com: Specialty Kits - oxygen/mapp gas brazing/welding/cutting torchkit [Set of 2]: Home Improvement

$68 on amazon for a Mapp oxy micro torch kit. The mapp will last a long time in that outfit, the oxygen will not. About 15 minutes of good strong heat and then the flame will begin to go (slowly at first and then quickly as the oxy pressure bleeds off) to a carburizing flame.

A new bottle of oxygen, however, is fairly cheap. I was buying them (way back when) at the hardware store for about $8.

Last edited by a moderator:
True Value has the mapp/air set-up. I don't know the price but with shipping the way it's and gas going up I'm thinking people are going to back to brick and mortar store shopping soon.

Reactions: little3mil
Yeah, after the shipping it may be cheaper to simply pick one up at Ace hardware local but my point is, a setup to use this type of brazing rod to repair aluminum can be had on the cheap. I mean, I paid like $400 for the oxy-fuel setup. If I didn't do more with it than a little aluminum brazing, it would be a total waste to spend that much on it.

The small mapp/ oxygen benzomatic kit would be perfect if you were only needing to repair one split in a case or something like that. It's enough for silver solder, aluminum brazing, and regular solder, but not much else.

Last edited:
for sure, i can get access to an oxy/fuel torch at work or at my parent's house, but i will probably get a mapp gas one for where i'm at. it'd come in handy for little projects i do up here in the basement

Status
Not open for further replies.