Carbon Fibre DIY

OConnor Racing

Mines Bigger
Technician
Dec 1, 2009
CT
www.kenoconnorracing.com
Let me start by saying I'm not an expert at this nor do I claim to be. I started messing around with this stuff and I'll share what I've learned so far. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. The scope of this DIY is for a Blaster hood but most of the processes can be applied to other parts as well. Carbon fibre is used in all kinds of high tech applications. The biggest advantages are that it's stronger than steel ( tensile strength ) and lighter. They use carbon in NASCAR, medical applications and aircraft parts just to name a few. If you want to try to do some parts, it's going to cost you about $100 for supplies. Not that bad if you think about it. I have no intention of doing this commercially because of the time it takes to make nice looking parts. This is only the first process and I'll add additional information as the project advances.
carbonfibrehood001.jpg

This is what I started with. Sand the part with 120 grit wet/dry paper to rough it up. Use the paper dry. Make sure you sand the bottom where the carbon will wrap around the part.
carbonfibrehood002.jpg

This is the carbon fibre mat. Make sure you cut it big enough to fit the part. You also need to tape the mat where you're going to cut it. If you don't, the strands will pull out. You need very sharp scissors to work with carbon.
carbonfibrehood003.jpg

This is the resin I used. Not the best but it works. Resin can cost $20 - $200 a gallon. This was $17 a qt. From NAPA. It's not as clear as I want but it works as long as it's not applied too thick
carbonfibrehood004.jpg

I also got this from NAPA. Use this for solvent. This is what you need to clean your brushes and tools.
carbonfibrehood005.jpg

This is the catalyst for the resin. This is what makes it harden. I use 12 drops per ounce.

Now you need to mix the resin and the hardener up. This should take about 3 minutes. It's very important that you mix the two components completely! I'm using a steel scale because of the rounded end on it. If you don't mix everything completely, the resin wont dry and your parts will look like crap.
carbonfibrehood007.jpg

Now take a paint brush ( get the cheap ones ) and paint a light, even coat on the part. Make sure you do the edges of the under side and all of the corners. You need to let this dry until it feels tacky to the touch. All resins are different. Some will dry in 20 minutes, some take as long as 4 hours. Mine was done in 20 minutes. If you don't wait long enough, the carbon wont stick and again, your parts will look like crap!
carbonfibrehood009.jpg

Very carefully take the mat and place it over your part making sure that you have it centered. The mat should be relaxed. Start to mold the mat into the corners making sure it's sticking to the part. If it doesn't stick to the part, you didn't wait long enough for the resin to dry and your part will again...........look like crap!

carbonfibrehood011.jpg

Once you have the carbon wrapped nice and tight over the top, turn the part over and wrap the corners. Use a bit of tape if you need to hold it down. Everything should be smooth at this point.
carbonfibrehood014.jpg

carbonfibrehood013.jpg

Once you have the part skinned ( technical word for doing what we just did ) let it dry for about 24 hours. The next step in going to be coating the part with additional coats of resin. Room temp is very important when working with resin. Seventy degrees seems like it works well. I'll post more as the project advances. On another note, if you decide you want to try this, make sure you educate yourself on the safety precautions. Carbon fibre is dangerous stuff!! You don't want to touch it with your hands ( once coated with resin, it's safe ) and you definitely don't want to get the fibres in your lungs. This was the deciding factor for me not doing this commercially. Wear surgical gloves, use a dust mask or regulator, and work in a well ventilated area. Another thought, lock the cats and dogs up when you do this. There's nothing worse than a poor dog running around with with a resin coated part stuck to it's butt. And when you finally get it off.................your parts will look like CRAP!!!!!!!! Hope this helps!

once again you've come up with some good sh*t ken, i may try this, where did ya get the carbon mat from, oh and plus rep for you!!!!

I just searched on ebay for the carbon. I used twill weave on this project. You guys may want to search this stuff on google videos. Really great info. Like I said, it's not hard, just takes lots of time and it's pretty dangerous to your health if you don't take precautions.

First question; Is it stretchy? No. It forms to the part is a better description.

Pics of the hood are coming as soon as it's done. I'll post some of the “in process tomorrow night. I've got the first two coats of resin on it but it's a long way from done. You have to build up the coats of resin in very thin steps. I start with heavy steps first, let it dry for 24 hours, sand it as flat as you can get it, then start building thin coats every 20 minutes. Next step is to sand it flat again until it looks like glass and apply more coats if you need to. I can see why they charge so much for this stuff. Tons of sanding!

the carbon material is like rope or thread weaved together so u have to be somewhat carfull with it.

also the resin u are using is going to give the top coat a brown tint. if u want it to be clear than i would suggest the resin they use for surf boards or boats. i have done this a few times with stuff for my srt4 neon and it came out decent but i got the boat stuff and that works GREAT.

most do vacume forming which dont cost much and it builds up quicker then the hand layied stuff.

So, is this just a carbon cover for your hood? Like, the plastic part is still there when it's done? Wouldn't it be better to make it just carbon fibre? Or am I missing something?

So, is this just a carbon cover for your hood? Like, the plastic part is still there when it's done? Wouldn't it be better to make it just carbon fibre? Or am I missing something?
thats what i was thinkin......looks cool for sure....