Carb leaking air

iadubber

Nov 11, 2009
Epworth, IA
I've been trying to track down an air leak in my system. I've narrowed it down to the top of the carb. I took the top cap off and there is a very thin paper gasket in there. Is that all that is keeping the air from getting in? Can it enter from where the throttle comes in? thanks! I:I

the top is most likely the culprit. the threads were stripped at the top of my carb so i couldn't get the cap tight.

there should be a rubber gasket in the cap to seal against the top of the carb, and a little rubber sleeve that slides down the cable to seal it

Yeah, I'll have to pull it apart this week. I really wanted to go riding with my uncle on Easter. Hopefully I can straighten it out. I finally got it to idle. Now it just revs to the moon. I sprayed carb cleaner all around and didn't rev until I hit the top cap of the carb.

Do the caps strip out or the top of the carb?

i think the carb, its softer aluminum, you may be able to cut a piece of thin rubber for in the cap, and a piece of hose or heat shrink should seal the cable to where the adjusters threads are

/\/\/\/\ yes it all needs to be sealed good

Well it looks like i have just one more issue to deal with LOL this sh*t never ends with a basket-case bike LOL

I have a stock carb with a TCI twist throttle on it... I think it has the stock carb cap on it, so it fits like sh*t and the center piece moves around (will get a pic) but i assume when you put a twist throttle on it, then it should have a different carb cap correct?

Also would this cap leaking cause enough of an air leak that the motor cant suck gas out of the carb and into the motor? I see its missing the gasket under the cap too LOL

Attachments

• 100_2838.jpg
    100_2838.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 100_2839.jpg
    100_2839.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 198
absolutely worst case scenario you and put a little bit of silicone on that gasket to try to seal it up. maybe put a sh*tload of pipe dope on those top threads

So I gooped up the threads and top cap and it's still revving out of control after I finally got it to idle. If I give it more than an 1/8th throttle it shoots to the moon. I'm getting pretty frustrated after all the money I have spent to get this thing running. I've had it for over 6 months and haven't even ridden it yet.

When I spray carb cleaner on the top of the carb where the TORS connects it revs. So somewhere in there it's cracked or missing some gasket. I took everything apart and it looks to all be there. I'm not sure where to go from here. What are my options to just totally eliminate the TORS box? Is the eliminator kit the only option? I don't have a tapper to tap for the idle screw.

I would get rid of it, and get a new carb cap.... (the tors removed kind) i just ordered a moose cap since my carb is leaking too.... I think between my cap leaking and my choke leaking air that its causing the engine to not suck any gas in from the leaks....

My motor runs and revs and idles fine if i shoot gas/oil down the plug hole, but cannot suck gas into the motor on its own..... I assume from my air leaks....

The after market cap might help you out a bit with your leak.... Just a suggestion, and get that idle screw put in, i took my kit too my local machine shop and it took him 3 minutes to tap it on the mill machine and he didn't charge me for it, hes a good guy, but the peace of mind knowing it went in right made it all good even if he had charged me for installing the screw.... Also said to bring my carb back and he will bore it out for nothing if i want it bored to a 28mm but thats a whole nother story.... LOL :D

Good luck bro, i know the feeling, ive got $1000 into my bike and i only rode it 10 feet literary since ive owned it!! :(

thanks Jug. I just ordered the full TORS eliminator kit off of ebay that comes with everything needed. If I have to spend another dime to get this thing running right I'm going to flip!!

Okay. So your problem is not that you are sucking gas in but your sucking in air and leaning it way out (and this will melt your motor down in a hurry) if you havent pulled your intake boot off do that cuz yamaha used this really sh*tty seal for it outta the factory (its goldish) and when my engine heated up it revved to the moon cause of the air leak all i did was replace the gasket and the problem was fixed (gasket is like 3 bucks) so try that if that doesnt work then start looking in to the carb

he's already narrowed it down to the carb as the culprit.

iadubber: stick it out man, i've got 2500 in mine and i've ridden it for about 10 minutes after breaking it in and the trans shelled. but hey just gotta keep on pluggin along. hopefully you get it figured out soon.

Okay. So your problem is not that you are sucking gas in but your sucking in air and leaning it way out (and this will melt your motor down in a hurry) if you havent pulled your intake boot off do that cuz yamaha used this really sh*tty seal for it outta the factory (its goldish) and when my engine heated up it revved to the moon cause of the air leak all i did was replace the gasket and the problem was fixed (gasket is like 3 bucks) so try that if that doesnt work then start looking in to the carb

Is this towards me or Jug? I already have a new intake gasket.

he's already narrowed it down to the carb as the culprit.

iadubber: stick it out man, i've got 2500 in mine and i've ridden it for about 10 minutes after breaking it in and the trans shelled. but hey just gotta keep on pluggin along. hopefully you get it figured out soon.

Yeah, I can't tell why it's happening. I took everything apart twice lastnight and I don't see the problem between the cap and tors unit. So I said F it and just bought the eliminator kit and it will eliminate any possibility of it being the cap, tors gaskets, cable etc. I'm crossing my fingers. I don't have as much as you into it, but if I would have skipped on the deal I got and just bought a running driving blasty I would be ahead.

hahaha yeah i should have skipped on my deal too im behind where i could have been at with buy a running machine LOL

Oh well its been fun, and i now know my whole bike I:I