carb issues kx250f?

smallz33

Apr 26, 2010
So i was having problems keeping my bike wanting to run and getting it started ,... Took the carb apart long behold idrty as hell jets clogged so i replaced them. While in side the carb i realised someone stripped the head right off of the starter jet.. Was going to easyout it but the starter jet is a special order and i wanted to ride. So i put the bike back together and it runs great starts right up hot and cold does not stall and idles perfect. Now the only problem that i have noticed is when i want to get right on the throttle it will hesitate or bog down. Im not sure if I need to change my mains to richen or lean it out. Because I have tryed the air screw. When the air screw is in any other position the throttle wants to hang or will not idle. So im wondering if its this starter jet but I heard that only effects when the choke is on. So I dunno if i would need to up the size or lower the size on my other jets. I have pro circuits jet settings for the ti4 exhaust. clip position and everything is right. So Im thinking maybe a bigger or smaller jet? Any help would be appreciated thank you

Fix the screw and did you clean out the starter system too? Why is it bogging, is it flooding or is it not getting enough fuel? Just pull the plug and look at it, don't chop it, if it is flooding, it will be covered with fuel and oil, if it isn't getting enough fuel, it won't be. Try that and then you will have a direction of which way to go with your jetting.

I dunno why its boggin.. It only wants to bog right when i try to get on hard.. if I ease into the throttle its fine... I did clean the whole carb out. I just couldnt get that jet out and it was special order part so did not want to get it out and be stuck with no bike

I dunno why its boggin.. It only wants to bog right when i try to get on hard.. if I ease into the throttle its fine... I did clean the whole carb out. I just couldnt get that jet out and it was special order part so did not want to get it out and be stuck with no bike

I get that, sucks being grounded. Anyhow, ride it, get on it and stay on it for a bit. Pull over, kill the engine and then pull the plug, see if it is coated with oil or not.

I'm having the same problems right now, I can't richen my needle without it bogging down and if I do, it floods it. If I run my needle at my leanest setting (otherwise it bogs down), it runs so lean my plug looks brand spanking new when I chop it.

That doesn't have a accelerator pump on it does it? :eek:

presume you've set float, bla,bla. Until you replace the booogered jet to eliminate it and what ever circut it works with, ride it like an 8 mile hooker I:I

Maybe 8-| cof, cof, poke around a kxf forum. Might be something stupid like this
you could do :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
most of the new four strokes have this problem. i would recommend jd jet kit it will supply you with everything needed and they have good support system. i'm assuming you have'nt done the o-ring or accelerator pump mods yet? if not do it.

yes it has boyseen quick shot 2 on it.. there is no air leak thats what i thought it was before Im thinking for sure its that starter jet because that sits right under the accelerator pump and i think its not pushing enough fuel into the bowl. I rode it to day didnt seem like it was doing it a whole lot but i was getting on it allot

just found out my bike can also do the "zip tie mod" and that thiss is the main reason for most bogging on the kx250fs

just ofund out my bike can also do the zip tie trick in the carb.. And that allot of the time this is why it bogs when throttle is cracked to hard so im going to try that

Well I had it fixed. the accelerator pump was clogged. Ran good for a few weeks then it started doing the same thing again except there was no power at all. Took carb apart cleaned it and still was doing it. Checked valve clearance etc everything was in spec. Finally I took the head off long behold my valve guide had broken and put hair line crack in my piston. Also my valve seat was shot. So i ordered them up a new piston and cam chain. Hoping that this does the trick. Also found out my head had one hell of a port job done to it. My buddy worked with team kawasaki and said he never seen such nice work on a head. So hopefully this weekend the beast will be unleashedd