Broken inner clutch hub

mike11743

Feb 12, 2008
So last week im taking apart my clutch and trying to get the hub off. I tried made a clutch holder tool, and threaded the bolts from my tool into the clutch hub like where the clutch springs would go. Well, the hub snapped where the bolt threaded in so I drilled a hole into the hub and stuck an allen key in through it and the clutch basket and put a penny in the gears to keep it from turning. I got it off, but still have yet to get a new one. I really want to go riding this weekend so ill probably just slap it toghter as-is. Do you guys think it will still work for the time being? I mean there are still 4 other clutch springs and i sanded the hole i drilled down so the plates could slide over.

you can take the nut off with an impact,just zip it right off,you will have to torque the nut back down when you put a new one on.You can get a real hub tool from Motion Pro.

You can slap it back together and probibly ride it like that,but i wouldnt recommend it.

Welll...yesterday i got this thing all toghther with my half broken clutch hub. Rode it all day yesterday and everything was fine until this morning. I had my gas tank off and when I out it back on, it got wedged somehow, so when I turned, it pulled on the cable. I made a sharp turn and the bike reved like crazy so i pulled the clutch in to avoid going over a hill. Hit the kill switch nothing happens so I paniced and dumped the clutch to try and kill it or at least bring the revs down so it dont blow up. Dump the clutch and the motor immedately locked up. Heres what I found.
IMGA0994.jpg

IMGA0995.jpg

Clutch basket pretty much exploded, all the threaded parts of the hub broke off, and the outer hub is cracked along with the sidecase.

So apparently 4 clutch springs/bolts will NOT properly hold the clutch. I probably should have just waited until I fixed it right, but I was in such a hurry to go riding!!

Do you thinkn it could have possibly bent the shaft that it sits on? Or anyhthing else?

i told ya,your basket and hub were probably wore out to begin with
My inner clutch basket broke. 3 out of the 5 studs broke and wasn't even riding. Just fired it up for the first time. Know how this could have happened?

Dissemble the engine and clean out all< the metal piecesor the engine is done period ! Next time, fix the problem first!✌️Peace