Broken carb.....

blast117

Jul 3, 2016
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 2001 blaster. It has been running like a champ and fires off with one or two kicks. I was noticing recently that there was a drip from the carb bowl and some fuel/oil on the engine around the carb. My first instinct was the float wasnt seating all of the way, but it seems its a little more than than. During a ride the bike died. After getting it home and doing some checks I noticed that the throttle assembly on top of the carb was loose. It seems that the threads on the carb cap are stripped and the whole assembly was just sitting there loose. This has to be a new carb situation right? This is a stock quad. Should I go back with a stock carb with stock jets and if so which brand seems to be the most reliable or is there a step up i could make? Specs on the new carb and a good parts dealer? Reeds as well or stick with the old ones for now? Keep in mind Id eventually like to put a new pipe and expansion chamber in the future. The stock ones are getting rusty and aren't looking too great anymore...

You should check around eBay for a stock blaster carb. If your bike is stock just run a 230 main jet, that is factory stock size. You may have to replace the carb cap while your at it.

Good luck.

Reactions: blast117
If just the threads on the carb cap are stripped, you can buy a TORS Delete kit, and go that route. It should have a cable, cap, idle screws , drill bit and tap.

As far as reeds go, if your concerned about them, might not be a bad idea to upgrade or change them. I just make sure to get a new reed cage gasket, and do a leak down test n the motor after you've installed them. The rubber boots are notorious for leaking

Good luck !

Reactions: blast117