Blow up carnage and rebuild

How long did your blaster run on that bore and that piston ridding in the dunes? Cuz u have been a member and riding in the dunes since I joined BF. thats been a year and a half or so I would say. Maybe longer and that's just that I have know of.

The only reason it blew up is a airleak u weren't on top of! That doesn't seem like ur doing to bad with riding out there.

Air cooled motors can Handel the dunes with proper jetting and a well maintained motor. People have been doing it for years.

Not saying its the best quad out there for the dunes but it's ridable in the dunes for sure!

At any rate tho. Cheaping out on the cylinder is only gonna come back to but u in the a$$ in the end..

Get the guy with the 20$ cylinder to meet somewhere ur "allowed" to drive. throw him 5-10 extra for gas it's still a good deal.

Spend 35 on that cylinder ( 20 for it 15 for gas)
Pay shipping ( say about 50bucks both ways for just the cylinder.)
Get free porting
Get the bore measured
Buy a piston kit for that bore that will be measured with the correct tools and some experience. ( I see a weisco right now for 80 bucks shipped on eBay)

Total everything up you got 165 in a cylinder that's ported and fresh and is done right

Your basically trying to cut corners to save what 80 bucks. Is 80 bucks gonna be worth all the money and hassle to do it over again. I don't understand. I could see If ur cylinder was in spec AND good condition then maybe.

How many times have u seen guys on here try and cut corners and in a month there on here crying because they didn't take the advice and do it right.

EVEN IF money is super tight buying the stock cylinder for 20 bucks and putting a piston in that is better then reusing that cylinder.

That's my option anyways. It is your bike and your decision at the end of the day.

How long did your blaster run on that bore and that piston ridding in the dunes? Cuz u have been a member and riding in the dunes since I joined BF. thats been a year and a half or so I would say. Maybe longer and that's just that I have know of.

The only reason it blew up is a airleak u weren't on top of! That doesn't seem like ur doing to bad with riding out there.

Air cooled motors can Handel the dunes with proper jetting and a well maintained motor. People have been doing it for years.

Not saying its the best quad out there for the dunes but it's ridable in the dunes for sure!

At any rate tho. Cheaping out on the cylinder is only gonna come back to but u in the a$$ in the end..

Get the guy with the 20$ cylinder to meet somewhere ur "allowed" to drive. throw him 5-10 extra for gas it's still a good deal.

Spend 35 on that cylinder ( 20 for it 15 for gas)
Pay shipping ( say about 50bucks both ways for just the cylinder.)
Get free porting
Get the bore measured
Buy a piston kit for that bore that will be measured with the correct tools and some experience. ( I see a weisco right now for 80 bucks shipped on eBay)

Total everything up you got 165 in a cylinder that's ported and fresh and is done right

Your basically trying to cut corners to save what 80 bucks. Is 80 bucks gonna be worth all the money and hassle to do it over again. I don't understand. I could see If ur cylinder was in spec AND good condition then maybe.

How many times have u seen guys on here try and cut corners and in a month there on here crying because they didn't take the advice and do it right.

EVEN IF money is super tight buying the stock cylinder for 20 bucks and putting a piston in that is better then reusing that cylinder.

That's my option anyways. It is your bike and your decision at the end of the day.

yea no doubt it can ride and handle the dunes, its just im kinda pushing it more than i like to, even porting wont help much but add heat, i just am wanting something with more power so i can go to comp hill or do some massive hill climbs.

i always read that if it blew up and its still in spec you could just hone it and be done with it, the only thing im kinda cutting a corner on is not splitting the cases, i should split them but its a big job, and there isint really all thet much crap in there, alot of it was on top of the piston, there were flakes of alumnum in the crankcase that i cleaned out already using gas, i asked the guy and offered cash, he wont budge, the closest he will go is to the end of his neighborhood.... not sure why, i think its a kid, like i said im trying to wheel and deal with this guy in oregon with a ready to go setup

yea no doubt it can ride and handle the dunes, its just im kinda pushing it more than i like to, even porting wont help much but add heat, i just am wanting something with more power so i can go to comp hill or do some massive hill climbs.

i always read that if it blew up and its still in spec you could just hone it and be done with it, the only thing im kinda cutting a corner on is not splitting the cases, i should split them but its a big job, and there isint really all thet much crap in there, alot of it was on top of the piston, there were flakes of alumnum in the crankcase that i cleaned out already using gas, i asked the guy and offered cash, he wont budge, the closest he will go is to the end of his neighborhood.... not sure why, i think its a kid, like i said im trying to wheel and deal with this guy in oregon with a ready to go setup

Have you ever rode a blaster with port work and a head mod. It's like night and day. I don't see how u say it will do little but add heat.

Either way I hope u get Something worked out so that u at least have a ridable machine.

Have you ever rode a blaster with port work and a head mod. It's like night and day. I don't see how u say it will do little but add heat.

Either way I hope u get Something worked out so that u at least have a ridable machine.

yea thanks, were not going to the dune for awhile again, were going riding in 2 weeks though in the woods, does great in the woods, just always a bit outgunned in sand http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-mods-swaps-129/went-dunes-need-more-power-40871/ not me but someone with portwork

But u can read in his own words a couple posts down he can keep up with 400's in the sand as well as another guy.

I mean your blasters never gonna beat a ported and piped banshee that's a 350 v twin engine against a 200cc blasted motor.

Your also will not be anywhere close to the same price range either.

No offense but your having trouble funding this build what happens if u need valves for a 450 or a rebuild on a shee with 2 cylinders instead of one.

Sure a fully built shee would blow a blaster away. That's not the debate here. What I'm saying is for about 200 bucks ( with free port work from York & playing for a head mod) you can truley unlock everything that blaster has to offer power wise and u can make it a fun enjoyable ride, even in the sand. That's all.

im kinda cutting a corner on is not splitting the cases, i should split them but its a big job, and there isint really all thet much crap in there,

Split the cases or suffer the consequences.

It only takes a single grain of piston to stuff up a bottom end.

Read my sig quote.

Split the cases or suffer the consequences.

It only takes a single grain of piston to stuff up a bottom end.

Read my sig quote.

I would be willing to bet he will not split the cases. Hell I'll be surprised if he hones that old cylinder. This thread should be renamed to how not to cut corners on a rebuild.

I would be willing to bet he will not split the cases. Hell I'll be surprised if he hones that old cylinder. This thread should be renamed to how not to cut corners on a rebuild.

I see this alot in the jetski world. A guy blows up his top end and instead of spending the extra time to split the case witch most have never been split they put new pistons in and the first time they go to the lake they blow it then they have to split the case and rebuild all over again but most sell the ski's cheap and guys like me buy them rebuild and sell.

600912_2968001659571_1343412974_n.jpg

579888_2968002099582_1810282927_n.jpg

I paid 100 bucks put 300 into and sold it for 1500.

Yeah I do agree with the above posts. I'll be more than happy to do your work because it was promised to you. But if that cylinder doesn't look fit to run on an engine I'm not going to give myself a bad name if and when it blows apart. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or whatever but it doesn't look good for me when an engine I just built comes apart like a pile of Lego's. Your decision here man.

110 replies posts to this thread and still no work done to fix it. I can't believe I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading all this.You are never going to port that blaster,you are never going to get a 450r. How do I know? Cause you couldn't even afford a set of grips for that blaster. Just sell that right bend pipe and go back to a stock pipe and fix your blaster with that money. Best advice yet.

110 replies posts to this thread and still no work done to fix it. I can't believe I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading all this.You are never going to port that blaster,you are never going to get a 450r. How do I know? Cause you couldn't even afford a set of grips for that blaster. Just sell that right bend pipe and go back to a stock pipe and fix your blaster with that money. Best advice yet.

Thats the problem with this site imho is there are alot of kids that have no money and then post rhetoric ie: if you dont plug chop now your an idiot or ken o connor is law any one else is an idiot.

I dont know much about a trans but I have built more then 40 two strokes and most of what these kids are posting for advice is complete wrong.

Thats the problem with this site imho is there are alot of kids that have no money and then post rhetoric ie: if you dont plug chop now your an idiot or ken o connor is law any one else is an idiot.

Couldn't agree more!!!! That right there describes it perfectly. "I've never rebuilt a top end but I've read 5 threads on how to do it! And 3 of them had pictures!" And they don't think twice before posting information that they have seen a person with over 1,000 posts say. It never ends. But in reality this site is not much different than the other forums. This one is just a little worse because of all the young kids that just repost and follow like sheep.

This is funny. I've seen kids on here with sig quotes like: " "Ken O'Connor, call him with all of your Blaster problems!" I'm not saying he's not helpful but he has a business to run and probably doesn't need some 14 yo from Kentucky calling him because their quad doesn't have spark. Also, there are more than a few people in this country that know how to properly build a race motor.

Last edited:

actually, I have done work ;) , I ordered tools to split the cases and Im going to buy a hone at the local shop. and no I couldint afford a set of grips at the time, I have money now and most likely I will have a job in a few days, and no im not going to sell my pipe, and ps I will have a 450r

I dont know much about a trans but I have built more then 40 two strokes and most of what these kids are posting for advice is complete wrong.

link me to what I posted that was wrong please, and I do have money now actually, just not a bunch to throw at porting and a full overhaul

Ya but you ain't gotta worry about porting since York will do it or free, and ps u shud just hone the cylinder, split the cases, fix all of whats wrong with it and sell it for a 450r!

Last edited:
Don't get a 400, get the 450r because the 450 will have more power and is nice , u will not regret having a 450 over your blaster or anything else!