Blaster Mikuni VM24 Help?!?

Dennis G

Jan 18, 2017
So I was riding the ole 02 Blaster the other day and it starting bogging down. I pushed it to the garage and checked the plug. Checked compression and it has 145psi. Replaced plug and it still bogged anything above half throttle. History on this unit is it recently had the top end bored and installed a wiseco piston. V Force reeds have been installed right along with new exhaust. Jetted it and it ran GREAT. This had me scratching my head so I removed the carb to clean it. Tore it completely down and ran it through my ultrasonic cleaner. Went to put it back together and that is when I noticed a problem. I took pics that will be posted on here. Please don't tell me to replace the carb because surely I can fix this. The pin that keeps the round slide from turning in its bore is missing!!! I searched high and low but knew I wouldn't find a replacement because it is installed then knurled into place. My thought is, and I would like input, to find a brass bolt and threat the carb body. I have a lathe so I could turn down the end of the bolt to guide the slide then use Loctite on the bolt. Any ideas? I would hate to get rid of a carb I have invested so much time in jetting and it just runs so good.

Attachments

• Carb.jpg
    Carb.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 244
  • Slide.jpg
    Slide.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 232
pretty good solder job on oil injection nipple:D
also i think you mean vm26 mikuni carb
what is that blue thingy 0n your pic with a perfect circle just curious on that
one although it dont matter?

Last edited:
I was mistaken on the carb yes it is a VM26. When I got the blaster somebody did that solder job. Meh. The blue circle is my flashlight being shined inside the carb showing where the round slide pin once was. Completely gone. I decided against a brass bolt and just used a steel 6mm thread bolt. Checked it in my lathe and turned down the end of it to 2.8mm. I turned down to much of the bolt so has to trim part of the machined nipple off. Threaded the hole in the carb and installed this bolt with Loctite. Put her all back together and the ole blaster is back up and running like a champ again :) Mikuni carbs catch a lot of crap but other than this issue it has been a rather trouble free carb. Also I run twist throttle and that catches a lot of flack but I am a dirt bike rider first and a four wheeler rider second so I am accustomed to a twist throttle. By the way shhhhh it was my ex-wifes blaster.....

Attachments

• 20170118_120745.jpg
    20170118_120745.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 209
Nice save with machining a bolt down !

If you use a small spring that fits over the threads of the bolt you can get away without using loctite and still have easy adjustments . Same way they do it at the factory. Just need to find the correct size to hold pressure.