Best??

Missy

Mar 8, 2009
Michigan
So this is the first summer after my back surgery. (Silver Lake claims another victim!!!!) I used to ride an 89' zilla but got tired of fixing it so I offed it last week and I'm back to my faithful blaster! Here's my question....

I need advice on what are the best suspension modifications to get a smoother and less jarring ride! The less bumps the better for my spine!
I primarily ride trails and sand dunes if that helps! Thanks in advance for the help!

Well, The best would be works shocks. A member is selling the fronts on here for $300. But, if you cant afford the works then go with some Banshee front shocks and a YFZ 450 or 400ex rear shock. A rear off of a 250r also fits. If you feel like spending some money and upgrading your A arms to +2 or +3 a arms you can fit YFZ 450, Raptor or any shocks off of the 400 and larger bikes.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. You can get a YFZ or 400ex rear with Banshee front shocks for less than $150.00 shipped to your door. Just check out ebay or the "for sale" section on this forum.

Hope I could help.

I picked up my elka shocks off of ebay for $400 shipped to my door. $400 seems to be about the average price for a set of elka's on there

Okay the big question is how soft is the ride. I REALLY have to be careful and try and cut back on the extreme bumps cuz god knows I'm not going to actually ride differently now.

i have 450's all around a bit stiff for the average person, but im a big dude so they help, im the one selling the works and its like riding on glass, elka's are nice but expensive as for the rear im guessing your not as much of a fat ass as i am, so go with the 400ex. hatchhonda has it pretty smooth, my rear 450 isnt adjusted yet so i will let u no how it is after the R&D is done, good luck and welcome to the site

i have 450's all around a bit stiff for the average person, but im a big dude so they help, im the one selling the works and its like riding on glass, elka's are nice but expensive as for the rear im guessing your not as much of a fat ass as i am, so go with the 400ex. hatchhonda has it pretty smooth, my rear 450 isnt adjusted yet so i will let u no how it is after the R&D is done, good luck and welcome to the site

LOL nice. Thats really why I'm asking I want it to be soft like the zilla was or like the banshee. And until I figure out how to weld a lazy-boy to the frame I'm gonna have to make do. Def let me know how yours turns out!!!

looks like we got another michigander here haha...
something else no one has said yet is you could always get the diamond j whidening kit with shock conversion and use yfz450 from shocks...

since you need more comfort.. get your self a seat cover and some thicker foam and redo your seat with some extra padding.. i seen your pics and your seat is the same one i have and there not the softest.. also ditch the rear mx style tires in favor for some decent all terrain tires.. for instance.. i had kenda viper a/ts on my blaster before gettin the holeshots.. get a set of 22 inch tal ones.. run them a lil lower then recommended air pressure.. alot of ppl on here wil say dont run 22s but there fine if your going for comfort for now..

the 22s will give you a little more sidewall to help absorb some of the bumps.

since you need more comfort.. get your self a seat cover and some thicker foam and redo your seat with some extra padding.. i seen your pics and your seat is the same one i have and there not the softest.. also ditch the rear mx style tires in favor for some decent all terrain tires.. for instance.. i had kenda viper a/ts on my blaster before gettin the holeshots.. get a set of 22 inch tal ones.. run them a lil lower then recommended air pressure.. alot of ppl on here wil say dont run 22s but there fine if your going for comfort for now..

the 22s will give you a little more sidewall to help absorb some of the bumps.

Actually the 18" are on there to offset the 14 tooth sprocket. I don't want to go back to the 22's I dont like the shift points with taller tires. It's really not a matter of comfort....that makes me sound as if I'm a pansy :) I need to take some of the sharp jarring out of the suspension to help prevent another surgery on my spine. Michigan trails are not the best kept....(unless they are sled trails...jerks) for most agressive riding I can keep my bum off the seat but for those unseen tree branches and stumps...and whoops....and dune ripples and well everything else that I manage to haul @$$ through I was hoping to find some suspension mods. So far I'm thinking of trying out the 400ex rear shock change out. How does that work? I'm sure I'm going to have to change the airbox but how does the actual mounting work out? Any major changs needed?

never said you were a pansy.. hell i never had back surgery.. but my back is messed up from a nasty bmx crash when i was 15 and after a few hours of hard riding im hurtin bad!!..
i know the banshee rear shock is pretty much bolt on.. and will lower it a lil bit

Actually the 18" are on there to offset the 14 tooth sprocket. I don't want to go back to the 22's I dont like the shift points with taller tires. It's really not a matter of comfort....that makes me sound as if I'm a pansy :) I need to take some of the sharp jarring out of the suspension to help prevent another surgery on my spine. Michigan trails are not the best kept....(unless they are sled trails...jerks) for most agressive riding I can keep my bum off the seat but for those unseen tree branches and stumps...and whoops....and dune ripples and well everything else that I manage to haul @$$ through I was hoping to find some suspension mods. So far I'm thinking of trying out the 400ex rear shock change out. How does that work? I'm sure I'm going to have to change the airbox but how does the actual mounting work out? Any major changs needed?

I can tell you that the 400ex shock will be stiff if you dont weigh much.My boy is about 155 and its a little stiff for him but for me at 195 its not as bad

I'd suggest a Works or Elka thats the correct length, and has rebound and compression adjustments. Possibly a +2 swinger also to move the tires back a little to keep you nearer the pivot point of the backend. Then find someone that races or builds racing quads and have them help you set your suspension.
That's the only way I see you getting a plush ride.

best way is to get a set of shocks either used or new and send them back to say elka giving them your weight and how you ride and they'll adjust them for you

(Silver Lake claims another victim!!!!)

Sorry to hear Silver Lake bit you ! Thats my favorite place (until I can get out west to hit those dunes Im sure)

But I agree that MI trails do tend to need more attn that they get... Which do you ride normally?