RIDE REVIEW: New addition to the family.....

piezzi

Mar 19, 2008
....now the blaster has some company in the garage. I'd like you to meet "Casper, the friendly quad":

1zdlv2o.jpg

oup7ip.jpg

2005 YFZ 450 that's all stock except:

FMF slip on pipe
air box lid removed
re-jetted
Uni-filter
Protaper bars

She was primarily used out in the sand dunes during her past life, and I took her out to the all terrain of Ocotillo Wells on Sunday for my first real ride. Here's what I noticed:

The YFZ soaks up the small bumps a lot better than my Blaster with Banshee front shocks

I had heaps more power. The power seemed endless as I could always find more juice no matter how steep the climb, how deep the sand, or whether I lost momentum through a slide.....there was always plenty of power to easily keep on rolling.

The extra power also helped to more easily get the front-end off the ground when needed for that unexpected obstacle in the path (rut/trench/tree/etc).

The quick response, longer gearing and power also makes it easier to launch when needed.

It wasn't bad cruising slowly through rugged areas. I saw many online opinions that suggested 450's aren't good at lower speeds, but I didn't have any problems slowing my roll.

I always wondered why people complained about their thumbs getting tired with thumb throttles as I never had a problem with my Blaster's throttle. Well the first half hour on the YFZ was definitely more taxing on my thumb than normal. After a half hour or so I didn't notice anymore.

The protaper bars are higher & wider than my stock blaster bars. Took a little bit of getting used to the feel, but I found I like having my arms a little wider and higher. Makes turning and sliding easier because you're already in correct arm position.

I thought the bigger overall size of the YFZ would have made it a little more comfortable on my knees, but as it turned out, my knees felt about the same as they do after riding on my blaster.....which is to say they felt cramped.

It was nice to have electric start and a neutral position light.

The nylon swing-arm skid plate that comes stock on YFZ's is unacceptable. Yamaha should be ashamed,.....but they probably don't care because the other manufactures are doing the same thing.

So all and all I had a good first time out on my YFZ. She ran good and strong and the only maintenance thing I noticed was the clutch is at the end of its adjustment. Not sure if the cable is stretched or the clutch is worn out.....I'll soon find out.

Can't wait to head out to the high desert this weekend to log some more saddle time on my new beast!

Last edited:
I thought the bigger overall size of the YFZ would have made it a little more comfortable on my knees, but as it turned out, my knees felt about the same as they do after riding on my blaster.....which is to say they felt cramped.

I find my knees cramped after a long riding session no matter what quad I'm riding. I have a utility quad which leaves my knees cramped.

I dream sometimes about electric start and reverse on a blaster...

The nylon swing-arm skid plate that comes stock on YFZ's is unacceptable. Yamaha should be ashamed,.....but they probably don't care because the other manufactures are doing the same thing.

They design based on the competition at the time. They other guys are doing it so they do it too! Also, if they designed everything bulletproof the thing would weigh 900 lbs....

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Nice ride man. I also went from a blaster to yfz....awesome upgrade. and if u do have to change out clutches it will take half the time on the yfz, its so much easier

yfzs are sweet man look after it , I:I changes the oil filter real often in them maybe 8-10hrs, i got a reusable stainless one for 40 ,cheaper in the long term and filters real good i might save up (if i get work) and get one next summer again lol

....now the blaster has some company in the garage. I'd like you to meet "Casper, the friendly quad":

1zdlv2o.jpg

oup7ip.jpg

2005 YFZ 450 that's all stock except:

FMF slip on pipe
air box lid removed
re-jetted
Uni-filter
Protaper bars

She was primarily used out in the sand dunes during her past life, and I took her out to the all terrain of Ocotillo Wells on Sunday for my first real ride. Here's what I noticed:

The YFZ soaks up the small bumps a lot better than my Blaster with Banshee front shocks

I had heaps more power. The power seemed endless as I could always find more juice no matter how steep the climb, how deep the sand, or whether I lost momentum through a slide.....there was always plenty of power to easily keep on rolling.

The extra power also helped to more easily get the front-end off the ground when needed for that unexpected obstacle in the path (rut/trench/tree/etc).

The quick response, longer gearing and power also makes it easier to launch when needed.

It wasn't bad cruising slowly through rugged areas. I saw many online opinions that suggested 450's aren't good at lower speeds, but I didn't have any problems slowing my roll.

I always wondered why people complained about their thumbs getting tired with thumb throttles as I never had a problem with my Blaster's throttle. Well the first half hour on the YFZ was definitely more taxing on my thumb than normal. After a half hour or so I didn't notice anymore.

The protaper bars are higher & wider than my stock blaster bars. Took a little bit of getting used to the feel, but I found I like having my arms a little wider and higher. Makes turning and sliding easier because you're already in correct arm position.

So all and all I had a good first time out on my YFZ. She ran good and strong and the only maintenance thing I noticed was the clutch is at the end of its adjustment. Not sure if the cable is stretched or the clutch is worn out.....I'll soon find out.

Can't wait to head out to the high desert this weekend to log some more saddle time on my new beast!

YFZ's tend to be more jerky at slow speeds puttering around which is where the complaining comes about. The 5 titanium valve design is for more top end especially after the cam mod and at low speeds it starts getting hunky doory. The seating position is a lot better than the Blaster's but the seat is kind of stiff for my taste. I'm sure the taper bars are far better than the stock bars. The stock bars suck ass. I like higher bend bars for the same reason you said....it gives me more leverage for something to grab on to, and more leverage and room through turns.

YFZ's tend to be more jerky at slow speeds puttering around which is where the complaining comes about. The 5 titanium valve design is for more top end especially after the cam mod and at low speeds it starts getting hunky doory. The seating position is a lot better than the Blaster's but the seat is kind of stiff for my taste. I'm sure the taper bars are far better than the stock bars. The stock bars suck ass. I like higher bend bars for the same reason you said....it gives me more leverage for something to grab on to, and more leverage and room through turns.

EDIT: I hate electric start......absolute waste of weight. I will never own a quad without a kick start and if it is made without one, one is getting put on ASAP. That's just a must have for me.

im with 99lrd. i hate electric start on quads. but if you need a neutral light to tell you when youre in neutral, then you aint doin somethin right.