Base Gasket

fsuroxu

Jan 26, 2010
Hartselle, AL
I pulled my top end apart, ordered a piston kit from someone here so now I need a new base gasket. Bike is all stock so should I go back with stock Yamaha or something else? I had a Vito's on it before but I read on here they have put out some bad ones lately. Any suggestions?

the 3 factory replacements i have are from namura. they actually say high performance gaskets, but as far as i could tell the head gasket and everything else is the same as stock.

The factory base gasket has steel on the inside of it. Paper gaskets can get sucked in under the cylinder. I've seen it three times this year. Nothing but Yamaha base gaskets for me from now on.

Stock gasket is .80 mm, its actually the same as the paper ones although it dont feel like it. I measured both. Sorry but i am a machinest and do all my measureing in MM. In inches both the paper i have and the stock are.0315 in inches. So i guess paper gaskets vary in size quite a bit.

Last edited:
sorry for the thread jack, but are cosmetic gaskets paper or copper?

google cometic EST gaskets to see them. the head gastke it a multi layer deal tht is rivited together. they claim there is no need to retourque after instalation and they are correct. i installed this head back in march and have never retorqued it and there is ZERO two stroke spooge. and cometic will also make you custom base gaskets. I:I I:I

Now I'm going to have to break out my calipers. IMO the K&S cheapie paper gaskets off ebay look (and feel) like they are about half the thinkness of the stocker. I might even have a used stocker to measure as well.