Any thoughts on jetting and carb

jbuckster07

Mar 20, 2011
Akron, Ohio
Sry guys i know this horse has been beat to death but after hours of reading, my brain is mush lol. My specs of the bike..... .05 over piston with aggressive trail port and polish job, fmf fatty with powercore 2 silencer, 12/41 gearing, stock carb and jets. Im about 250 lbs so dnt know if that has any deciding factor lol! Since my last ride of the season is over im getting a parts list together for the winter rebuild. My main 2 questions are should i rejet and get a bigger carb. I have read pages and pages and havent really found the info im looking for. Lets have some opinions thrown around thanks!

BUMP! Come on guys i know there are opinions out there, help a fellow blasty guy out lol. Im not motor savy so dnt really understand what some threads are talking about and when to use specific applications...

Stock main jet should be changed from a #230 TO A #270 depending on wether you have modified the intake or air box.

The only way to know if jetting is correct is to plug chop.

Rider weight bears no relation to jetting.

The stock 26mm carb will give you good service but an upgrade to 28mm may improve performance some.

Sry guys i know this horse has been beat to death but after hours of reading, my brain is mush lol. My specs of the bike..... .05 over piston with aggressive trail port and polish job, fmf fatty with powercore 2 silencer, 12/41 gearing, stock carb and jets. Im about 250 lbs so dnt know if that has any deciding factor lol! Since my last ride of the season is over im getting a parts list together for the winter rebuild. My main 2 questions are should i rejet and get a bigger carb. I have read pages and pages and havent really found the info im looking for. Lets have some opinions thrown around thanks!

Who did your aggresive trail port?

My first recommendation would be to get your head re-chambered to a Hemi with a smaller CC volume and a proper squish band. This modification really wakes up the blaster engine. This modification will save you money,because you WON'T need a timing advance modification (advance key),because the head takes care of all that with a faster, MUCH MORE efficient burn of the air fuel charge. Do you have any pictures of your porting?

With an aggresive trail port,and the FMF,I believe that your jetting would be in the #320 + main jet range. The stock carb works WONDERS with an aggresive trail port. Velocity is the key. I would stick with the stock carb if it was me...Especially if you tend to make that blaster sit in water like in your picture. The reason being that the stock carb,air boot,and air box actually work great in keeping water out,if you do your part! When you swap to a bigger carb,good luck getting that boot to fit anything else. It can be done,but nothing will fit like it use too.