any guitar players that play in bands?

brandoz28

Sep 24, 2009
Iowa
just wondering.....thinking about switching to a rack based setup for all my stomp boxes and putting in a parametric eq.....just thinking it'll be easier for tear down and set up if/when i start playing in a band again

I made a friend of mine a rackmount setup for his gear using his ART multieffect unit a peavy twin channel power amp, a BBE,tuner, a wireless and a power conditioner, I put speaker jacks recessed into the back of the cabinet and put the whole thing on casters. also had a jack on the back like for the power supply on a computer, so you just pluged the cord into it. it wieghed a ton, but setup and break down was so fast, plug in to speaker cables for the cabinets and a power cable, flip the switch.

The parametrics were popular back in the late 80s because you could get the a better metal crunch with it and a compressor. These days I think you would be happier with a BBE..2 knobs to mess with and your guy can tweak your sound to whatever club your in soooooo easy. IMO the BBE is gods gift sounding good whether the place seats 50 of 5000... sound thin? twist one knob, sound muddy? twst one knob...

This isnt the one my friend had (meaning he's not selling it) but its the same model

http://cgi.ebay.com/BBE-Sonic-Maxim...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5887a728f5

Last edited by a moderator:
damn phrags, you build all kinda wild sh*t

i use a marshall JCM 900 head, marshall 1960's lead cabinet with boss/electro-harmonix pedals. love stomp boxes. setup for me is a breeze. takes me about 5 minutes. i run a pedal board with a 1 spot daisy chain.

i used to use a powered SKB board but it was HUGE, so i downsized. i had a rackmount amp..never got a good sound. i love my JCM900 tho. its tubed like a fender amp is so i have nice cleans, and still have that nice crunch. (i bought it that way, otherwise it would be tubed like it should be)

i dont use the effects loop either, i used to...but it became a hassle.

to each his own tho...

phragle i like that idea a lot. it all started with my little micro stack getting stolen.....got me thinking i want to play in a band again, got a big amp and stuff and i have a gator pedal board and a good amount of stomp boxes.....i'm kinda wanting to put them in a rack, a wireless, some sort of EQ (or that BBE thanks for the tip)

can't believe it.....next amp might be a Crate, played one tonight that was all tube and i at least really really like the clean channel....the overdrive was decent but i didn't get to crank on it

i had a crate blue voodoo halfstack....couldnt get the right sound and tone out of it....went back to marshall.....best amos ive played on are a JCM 800 and JCM 900. for distortion. as for cleans best amp i've played on is a fender twin reverb....

wanna get really fancy? buy a fender tube amp for cleans. use a line selector to swtich between amps and have you distortion amp on the other channel. best way to get the exact sound you want.. i used to do that.

what kind of music you play? i was in a punk/emo band, and now i started a 90's alt rock cover band....

lots of stuff....been in everything from traditional jazz bands to screamo metal stuff. mostly hard rock/metal though. i won an avt50 combo last night so hopefully that works pretty well for me. i used to have an avt50 half stack and it was decent.

i almost bought a schecter 7 string a couple years ago. they're pretty fun. only problem was no floyd rose

give me a day or 2 to get the chops back up to SNUFF (purposely used that word) but anyways, i haven't played much in 3-4 months so my fingers are a little rusty rusty...hehe