american star a-arm trouble

Mrdieselman

Apr 16, 2014
Ohio
Okay so I'm at a major speed bump. I bought a set of asr a-arms and have tried EVERYTHING but my steering will not loosen up, i even switched over frames because I thought that my 98 frame was bent. If anybody has had the same problem and solved it I'm all ears. Please help im starting to lose my mind, and money!

Did you try to use silicone spray on them? Or you could just have a bad set of heim's. They replaced mine, I'm planning on installing them this weekend.

I dealt with Drew from ASR. He was very friendly and helpful.

Just got home and wow! Thanks for the info everyone. I've tried lube and everything else besides replacing the hems. That's the only thing I'm left with at this point. Figures that I'm ready to ride but my bike isn't. I'll keep you all up to date if I find anything else that hasn't been mentioned and would love to help my fellow blastronauts.

So I called about my tight steering problem and couldn't be happier! Asr said they would send me a new set of heims, can't wait to ride at 100%! I will be returning to them in the future for upgrades to the blaster for sure. Great customer service and great parts.

There here. 2 days is all I had to wait for asr to send my replacement heims. I know what I'm doing after work today. Can't wait to go ride! Thanks for helping me.out everyone.

WTF... Got a good ride in on the replacement heims, brought the bike in for the night and it happened again. 2 defective sets in a row. I can't even think straight anymore. All I want to do is ride but nothing is going right. I think it's time to get drunk and try not to think about it.

I am not a large fan of Heim joints they are open to the elements.

Such a small sealing surface is bound to pick up dust and dirt and enter.

There are covers available, or you could fabricate your own.

Reactions: 08yfzman
WTF... Got a good ride in on the replacement heims, brought the bike in for the night and it happened again. 2 defective sets in a row. I can't even think straight anymore. All I want to do is ride but nothing is going right. I think it's time to get drunk and try not to think about it.
Same thing happened to me i called ASR and was told that i have to oil them with the dreaded WD-40(only good for diagnosing water problems with electronics as far as i'm concered) now and again so i went and bought a can and tried oiling them all they do is squeak louder i gotta call them again monday and find out what there gonna do and i forget who i talked to but he made it sound like i'm supposed to oil them if so why does none of the paperwork mention oiling them periodically i figured that putting any wet oil on the joints would promote dust and dirt collection

wd-40 in those heim joints is waaayyyyy better than water and mud in them. Just saying.... I personaly use white lithium grease in my heim joints after every ride and have no issues. Heim joints require maintenance.

i've used a small shot of wd-40 and/or silicon spray on my heims before every ride, and have had zero problems for 4 seasons now, and they were used when i bought them.
heims allow more travel before binding than ball joints do

as for your problems with these new heims ASR is supplying, if i'm not mistaken ASR offers ball joints too, tell them to swap you for ball joints if needed

Its not a lack of lubrication its the joints themselves. I always lube and powerwash everything after I'm finished riding. I just don't have very good luck. I did however get 3 of 4 loose with some Kimble Midwest CB penetrating grease. It works better than WD 40 or silicone spray, and yes I've used them all. When it comes to getting something to work I usually can.

i'm swapping out the hiem joints i'm done swapping them out i'm getting sealed ones i've tried oiling the new ones every ride and there just getting tighter and tighter i'm fed up with them

Update time! After I broke all four of my second set of heim joints loose i took the Blasty out for a test ride on some unforgiving terrain. Sure enough they locked right back up. So I went home washed off the blaster and called asr to tell them about the problem. Even after 2 sets they were more than happy to send out a third set. I talked with them for about 25-30 min and asked for a set of good old ball joints. 3 days later here they are! Rode the hell out of them for about 2 weeks now and not a single problem! Thanks for the recommending the automotive style ball joints awk08. Now its time for the engine to get some more power now that I'm stable as a table.

Reactions: dirtysquared