acts like its on a rev limiter

harley1-5

Jul 28, 2013
Elko County Nevada
so the 98 I just picked p[haven't tried to run it yet too dark out]has an 03+ stator green wire gronded already.Guy I got it from says it will idle and when you try to give it throttle it acts like its on a rev limiter.
here are my plans
1.leak test
2.clean carb
3.fresh fuel
4.new plug
5.check wiring for loose wires/bad gronds
any other ideas?
oh and he said it was fine until he replaced the stator

thanks blaaster bike has been rewired no park brake switch once I get it fired up[after l leak test fresh fuel and carb clean and plug]if the problem persists I will try my spare 03+wiring harness

After doing the leak test, check the jetting, then warm her up and go for a ride.
Mine will not rev up into the power band just standing there. (Its not good to rev the engine in neutral either!)
As soon as I ride, it clears up very quickly and only does it very occasionly when riding REAL SLOW for a long time.
In my case, it is the jetting that is a bit rich on the bottom side.
I was also concerned when initially starting up the quad.
Since then, carb was cleaned, motor split, new piston and rings, further porting, all round new seals and gaskets, timing advance mod.
Otherwise, she runs like a demon!

I would say look at the carb first, look for blocked jets or passages. .. then flywheel keyway, remove exhaust flange and take a look at the piston, new plug, check for good spark, lastly, check CDI

don't think its keyway cause he says it will idle first thing im gonna do is leak test but even so I suspect carb if the motor is strong[porting for real]im gonna use that motor for now I got a cr125 carb needing a home

Check air filter and that there are no critter nests in intake or exhaust. Also is the slide on carb moving freely...

Blaster I just got was doing the same thing. Would idle all day long but die when you hit the throttle. Guy had unhooked part of tors but not the box. It's under the hood on the right side

Last edited:
Mouse nest in airbox?? Doesn't sound like blockage in the carb.If it was blocked it would want to stop running.