520 chain

Russell45

Aug 19, 2012
All the same or differences between brands? Bought a chain and sprockets set 520 non O-ring 92 links then later got a great deal on a +4 swinger. OK to add 8 links and run 2 master links? Need to be the same brand? Gonna have a KOR case saver but don't want to test it also don't want to wear the new sprockets too fast.

Do not even dream of fitting new extra links to a chain that has been used.

I have some sad news for you.

You should never mix old sprockets and chains with new or second hand ones.

They marry for life, and do not take kindly to another partnership.

A new sprocket will quickly wear/stretch or break an old chain.

A new chain on an old sprocket can be completly stuffed in a few miles.

Rule of thumb, always replace the whole set, chain, front and back sprockets.

The 8 links of new chain are going to play havoc with the sprockets, and will be taking a fair amount of extra strain as they try to ramp on the old sprockets.

If you fit new chain to an already used one, make sure you have the case saver in place before you ride, you may well get it tested.

Running new links along with old is going to cause the chain to run, tight at one time and slack when the link pitch changes.:(

It will be impossible to get a correct chain tension adjustment as in practice you will be running 2 different chains, (poor old sprockets):eek:

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

The biggest pitfall you could run into like I have mixing different chains from different manufacturers is they tend to use different style masterlinks.
Use the same chain for adding the extra links and you should be OK.

Thanks guys. I'm mid rebuild right now so all components are new. If I can find Volar chain at dealer willing to sell 8 links probably will go that way. Or just another longer chain wth its only $$. New frame; paint; swinger; clutch; pipe; tires; all seals; front wheel bearings; a-arm bushings; bars... cha ching. Oh and a KOR top end coming back home this week! Having a ton of fun. This board is OUTSTANDING. Will donate and post photos soon