18s vs 20s, with stock fronts

Arctic_Blaster

Aug 20, 2010
im looking a new back tires to give a bit more bite and im wondering weather i should go 18s or 20s, and i will be using stock front tires.

I'm getting 18. People say 18 bottoms out a lot more than 20 but it's only a 1 inch difference, so I don't see it being a problem.

The smaller the diameter of tire you get the less overall traction youre going to have because of the changes to gearing.

What kind of riding do you do? If its primarily flat track/MX style dirt riding, the 18s with a 14t front sprocket might be the ticket. If you are doing more woods style riding, Id recommend the 20s with a 14t front sprocket and a 41t rear.

Advice on tires, gearing, etc, is going to vary depending on who gives it to you.

i do mostly flat, sometimes track riding and little bit of trails nothing that i need to worry about clearance on i just dont know if 18inch rears and 21 fronts are to much of a size difference, for performace and looks also

Theyre not dude.

Lots of guys run 18 inch rears and 21 inch fronts.

I myself wont run 18 inch rears. I think 20s are perfect. But, some guys like the 18s, and thats koo.

Do yourself a favor tho, if youre gonna go 18 inch rears, you WILL want to run a 14t front sprocket. If you dont, your top speed will be like.. 50mph at 8500rpm

I think 20's look to big also. Blasters are kinda small and the 18's just look like they fit. If you feel the need, change the rear sprocket to get the gearing back. Then you'll have a extra sprocket that's lower geared for hill climbing or something.

I personally will never run 18's again.they are way to small in my opinion.They are probably best on a groomed track or groomed surfaces.I run 20's on all my bikes and they are the way to go.IMO I get plenty of ground clearance and they look like they fit the bike.18's look tiny on the blaster.In the end it is all personal preferance,but if you have any rocks,trees,ruts,etc etc you will wish later you went with the 20's.

yea if u dont change ur gearing with 18's u will be banging thru gears like nothing and looking for 3 more after 6th lol

and ill never run 18's, way to small IMO

I love my 18"s with 14/40 gearing, it pulls nice from bottom to top, looks awesome, very light, and the ride is really stable. I don't really like the way 20"s or bigger look on blasters and the extra weight makes it a turd..... but they do have a purpose and work very well.... my 22"s will go anywhere on the ice.

i love my 18"s with 14/40 gearing. (when i rode the blaster) the 18's look like they should be made for a blaster but the 20"s look to big without an exteded swinger. plus having 20" tires on 8" rims makes them bubble a bit even with low air pressure.