YZF600 engine stuffed into a 90 blaster

They get seized on there pretty good. I just did the carrier on my buddies 300ex. Had to fire the torch up and get it red hot before it wanted to move. Pain in the a$$

Gas shop doesn't open up til Monday so I'm just soaking it in some penetrant for now.

On another note, I'm missing a swingarm thrust cover. I have new seals but I'm missing one of the covers. Does anyone happen to have an old one laying around, in any condition?

y-ca-008.jpg

Okay, got my tank filled and got the nuts off. Axle slipped right out.

Persistence paid off with a he carrier bearings. Lots of heat needed there to get them out.

Also, why in the world are the brake rotor bolt heads off center? Strange and I just don't understand why.

Last edited:
Okay, got my tank filled and got the nuts off. Axle slipped right out.

Persistence paid off with a he carrier bearings. Lots of heat needed there to get them out.

Also, why in the world are the brake rotor bolt heads off center? Strange and I just don't understand why.
Do the bolt heads cam lock?

No, they are just a regular bolt with an allen head, but the allen head is not in the center of the bolt.

I used an impact and 2 came out no problem, the other two stripped even when I hammered the allen bit in. I then hammered in a bigger torx bit and they came out. It wasn't difficult, I'm just wondering why they are off-center.

I haven't forgot about the parts, just didn't have time yesterday, sorry.

No problem at all, I didn't have any time expectations. I just appreciate you having a look.

On another note, I polished up the steel axle yesterday as good as I'm going to try and get it and will clear it this week with a little twist. I'll see how it turns out and post some pictures.

Is there any way to determine what axle it is? I'm guessing it is a stock banshee axle but I can't say for sure.

Been powdercoating the rear. Ill do the rims when I take the tires off. Hard to get a good picture of the blue pearl in the clear but it easily stands out in person. I'll see how it looks in the sun if it ever comes out.

20160325_193019213_zpsorui3nym.jpg

20160325_193322514_zpsq5dasre1.jpg

I broke down my leaky blast cabinet to seal it, build a new media pickup tube and piece a vacuum setup together.

Holy crap, what a difference the new pickup tube made. I can't believe how many hours I've wasted out there now that I see how this works. For anyone who uses a siphon style cabinet and uses the tube-within-a-tube pickup I'd recommend making a new one based off the Skat design. I made it out of 1/2" electrical conduit.

I blasted the calipers and brackets in a minute rather than about 30-40 it would have previously taken.

Calipers done in gun-metal with just a hint of blue flake. Really hard to see, should have mixed in a little more.

20160410_080708132_zpswemmhb6w.jpg

Took everything off to blast the frame. Will hopefully get that blasted tomorrow and I can start to paint it.

Blasted, primed and base coat done on the frame. I'll have to pick up some more clear this week as I don't think I've got enough and I'll have some pearl laid down on it.

Not sure I like how the 'blending' came out but it's good enough.

20160413_150452000_zps2cybzgds.jpg

20160413_150503707_zpstdmza9ms.jpg

Reactions: 82cutty