yz490 build

Did a engine on a 490 not to long ago gaskets and piston are both available after market. Had to do bottom end on the one I did to parts were still all available. Good luck with the build.

Ebay is probably your best source for parts.
I read that your compression is at 60 psi.
It might be time to get her re-bored with a new piston and rings.
Believe it or not these old air-coolers don't have the much compression even after a re-bore.
Mine with the stock head will hit around 110-120 psi after new top-end,
and yet it will still feel alot higher then that when kicking it.
In fact on the E2S Busco trip I had a friend who is used to his banshee ask me if it was still in gear when he tried pushing the kicker down.
We tested my compression that day and it was around 120 psi.
Of course you know I'm hoping you do it up in yellow and black haha.
Check out' how to restore plastics' for the stock yellow plastics in the DIY section.
Hit any other colors with Krylon sunbeam yellow for a decent match.
I love the old bike so if you need anything hit me up...PB

Sure if it was real bad.
Might be a dumb question but have you tried torquing the 4 cylinder nuts down tighter?

cause i would imagine a yz490 isnt a common bike anymore so they jack up the price cause of the low demand

when things have a low demand they lower the price. why u think places have sales to sell the sh*t they cant sell?
if demand is high the can increase price because ppl need that product. not trying to be a smart ass but im correcting ya.

the reason behind the high price is that its a big bore piston and its harder to make one(compared to a blaster piston or a normal bore 2 stroke). and also its a specialized part that not alot of places make, and therefore the demand is high on the few places that make em.

you could just run a 400 jug and then parts would be cheaper and the machine would be more reliable i believe
Cheaper parts yes, more reliable no.
The 465 IMO is the better motor.
It never got any bad reviews back in the day and yamaha killed a good thing when the upped it to a 490.

will the 400 jug fit on the 465 bottom end

None of the 400's will fit the 465 bottom end.
It's a different case design.

Cheaper parts yes, more reliable no.
The 465 IMO is the better motor.
It never got any bad reviews back in the day and yamaha killed a good thing when the upped it to a 490.

None of the 400's will fit the 465 bottom end.
It's a different case design.

hmmm i think i should go yell at my sources hahaha