YFZ450 Shocks on Stock Blaster A-Arms

pooreboy87

Dec 2, 2008
Southern Delaware
Alright I know that this is probably going to be scrutinized bc its recommend that if you decide to use stock yfz450 shocks, you should run extended a-arms bc of the difference in the yfz shocks and the blasters, but....

Here's a write up on how to put yfz shocks on a Blaster with stock a-arms:

Tools: Ratchet, Extension for ratchet, flat head screwdriver, 14 and 17mm sockets, 14mm wrench, ratchet strap
373416981_1288576463_0.jpg

1. Put something under the front of the frame to hold the wheels off the ground and unload the suspension(i used a 5 gallon bucket).

2. remove upper and lower bolts on both left and right shocks using 14mm wrench and 14&17mm sockets with ratchet and extension. then pull stock shocks out.
Heres a pic of the difference between the two types of shocks.
373419217_1288584939_0.jpg

3. put yfz shocks into position and using the stock bolts from the blasters shocks bolt the bottom of the shock to the lower a-arm on both sides,but leave the bolts a little loose to have a little wiggle room for aligning.
373418076_1288580620_0.jpg

4. the shock will still be about 3/4 of an inch from being able to be bolted in at the top, so use the ratchet strap and ratchet it down to compress the shock just enough to be able to be brought into alignment of the stock bolt hole on the frame, using the screwdriver for aligning.
373418332_1288581597_0.jpg

373417838_1288579732_0.jpg

5. then reinstall the upper shock bolt.
373419038_1288584274_0.jpg

6. tighten all the bolts firmly and you're done, be sure to go back and check the bolts and make sure they are still tight after riding for a little bit.
373417141_1288577073_0.jpg

^^pic looks like the blaster is leaning but it was just bc the shocks needed some adjustment.

Also here's a link to a page that describes all the features of stock yfz shocks and how to adjust them properly.
http://quadhub.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_setup

Overall, the upgrade was something im glad i did for now because after adjusting the shocks how the above link says, they ride great and are a ton better than stock. they ride is much smoother and much better on the track that i ride. I do plan on getting some +3+1 a-arms pretty soon to make the blaster handle even better, but for the moment im happy with this setup.

I just wanted to do a write up so that people can see for theirselves that the yfz shocks will in fact work on stock blaster a-arms.

nice post... i plan on doing the same with some KFX400shocks im getting from my friend that is upgrading his bike...you really think that extra inch is going to pull the ball joints apart??b.c when me and stinkinlincolnw/blaster put his YZF450 shocks in we had to compress the shock down to make it fit. and he has +3 upfront.

Deffinately get those a-arms sooner than later.Those ball joints will fail shortly with stock a-arms.IMO

haha the quad looks jacked up in the front

this will actualy help me a lot because i want to put those shocks on my quad and im gona put the yfz since they are cheap and i dont have to replace the a arms thanks for the guide

Yea, I am thinking the ball joints are going to fail very quickly like that. Also how does it ride, you compressed the shocks more then 1 full inch...That is a lot of compression.

in the pic it looks jacked up but ive changed the location of the nuts on the top of the spring and ive adjust em this weekend so they ride pretty well. it rides really smooth at high speeds over a bumpy road and they feel a lot better when jumping.

Alright I know that this is probably going to be scrutinized bc its recommend that if you decide to use stock yfz450 shocks, you should run extended a-arms bc of the difference in the yfz shocks and the blasters, but....

Here's a write up on how to put yfz shocks on a Blaster with stock a-arms:

Tools: Ratchet, Extension for ratchet, flat head screwdriver, 14 and 17mm sockets, 14mm wrench, ratchet strap
373416981_1288576463_0.jpg

1. Put something under the front of the frame to hold the wheels off the ground and unload the suspension(i used a 5 gallon bucket).

2. remove upper and lower bolts on both left and right shocks using 14mm wrench and 14&17mm sockets with ratchet and extension. then pull stock shocks out.
Heres a pic of the difference between the two types of shocks.
373419217_1288584939_0.jpg

3. put yfz shocks into position and using the stock bolts from the blasters shocks bolt the bottom of the shock to the lower a-arm on both sides,but leave the bolts a little loose to have a little wiggle room for aligning.
373418076_1288580620_0.jpg

4. the shock will still be about 3/4 of an inch from being able to be bolted in at the top, so use the ratchet strap and ratchet it down to compress the shock just enough to be able to be brought into alignment of the stock bolt hole on the frame, using the screwdriver for aligning.
373418332_1288581597_0.jpg

373417838_1288579732_0.jpg

5. then reinstall the upper shock bolt.
373419038_1288584274_0.jpg

6. tighten all the bolts firmly and you're done, be sure to go back and check the bolts and make sure they are still tight after riding for a little bit.
373417141_1288577073_0.jpg

^^pic looks like the blaster is leaning but it was just bc the shocks needed some adjustment.

Also here's a link to a page that describes all the features of stock yfz shocks and how to adjust them properly.
http://quadhub.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_setup

Overall, the upgrade was something im glad i did for now because after adjusting the shocks how the above link says, they ride great and are a ton better than stock. they ride is much smoother and much better on the track that i ride. I do plan on getting some +3+1 a-arms pretty soon to make the blaster handle even better, but for the moment im happy with this setup.

I just wanted to do a write up so that people can see for theirselves that the yfz shocks will in fact work on stock blaster a-arms.

You have no idea how much this helped. I ride 450's and am 15. I am not old enough to race them so I went with the 200cc 2 stroke class. My blaster came with the a-arms and the wider axel and the longer swinger. I am a little heavier so the banshee shocks almost bottomed out on big jumps. I needed this to show my dad so that he will let me spend money on this. Thanks again

PS- I recommend extende a-arms, they help the quad turn well. Mine would not tip at all if my suspension was tighter.

Deffinately get those a-arms sooner than later.Those ball joints will fail shortly with stock a-arms.IMO
\

I have longer a arms but I have stock suspension. I think I am riding low, but would it be an issue if my longer a-arms used the stock mounting and then put these shocks on, or do I need different suspension mounting?

You have no idea how much this helped. I ride 450's and am 15. I am not old enough to race them so I went with the 200cc 2 stroke class. My blaster came with the a-arms and the wider axel and the longer swinger. I am a little heavier so the banshee shocks almost bottomed out on big jumps. I needed this to show my dad so that he will let me spend money on this. Thanks again

PS- I recommend extende a-arms, they help the quad turn well. Mine would not tip at all if my suspension was tighter.

Hey bro, you need to stop bringing up these old posts... This thread is over 4 years old... And the other ones you brought up were as well

If you need help, make your own thread

Hey bro, you need to stop bringing up these old posts... This thread is over 4 years old... And the other ones you brought up were as well

If you need help, make your own thread

It was put up here to be used as a guide and for proof that it worked. I know it will destroy the ball joints so I am gonna make a lowering kit. I just wanted to know if the shock mounts were to wide and it the frame would be in the way of the fluid canisters. If the information was here and it was related to the topic, I did not think it was bad to ask about it. I guess I will have to make a thread.

Last edited: