YFZ450 front suspension on my blaster-PICS:)

Blaner

Your Friendly South African Ambassador
Mar 26, 2008
East London, South Africa
Hey guys, here are the pics you were asking for, i am busy typing up a article to post on how to do it with all the measurements etc to get the geometry a correct match to the YFZ450. so hang in there if you looking for it.
Hope you guys like! it was a big job but worth it!
Blaster1032.jpg

Blaster100.jpg

Blaster095.jpg

Blaster094.jpg

Blaster093.jpg

Blaster092.jpg

Blaster091.jpg

Blaster090.jpg

very nice!! those pics were definitely worth waiting for!

now for the questions

do you know how much wider it made the bike? can you measure from wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange side to side?

Nice work... now you just need to put them in production! haha. Also wondering how it rides... a bit stiff?

hey thanks guys, as for ride, well i actually cant say because i didnt get a chance to take it out in the bush, i only went around the block a few times as the motor was still fresh and then i had to leave for varsity, so my brother has been running it in and he says its 100x better than the original, but i cant say yet, but how can it not be better??!!
Cost, well i got the a arms and shocks from a local guy here in S Africa which cost me R2000 which is about $250 Then I got Raptor660 spindles from ebay. I first got banshee spindles but they dont work as they put too much stress on the ball joints. YFZ450 ones would be ideal but i coundnt get hold of any so i just used the raptor ones.
As for width, it turns out to be 17mm wider than a stock YFZ450, 8.5mm on either side.im not sure of how much wider than a stock blaster it is. it comes out 17mm wider than a 450 because of the blasters wierd tapered frame which is wider than than the 450 at mount points.
I did not use a jig as i found that to be a bit too inaccurate. I did it all by measurements, correct to 0.5mm.
Like I mentioned, im busy typing up a "how to" with some more pics of the fabbing ect with all the measurements and how i got to them, what you will need etc. its just taking a while as its turning out to be quite long! in it i should answer all of your questions a bit better.

I rode a guys blaster yesterday that has a yz125 motor and yfz450 suspension with all the trick adjustable a arms and all that good stuff and it rides awesome I can't wait for the write up so next season I can show up with the same setup

hey, ive kinda put the write up on hold for a while because ive decided im not entirely happy with the caster. it tends to wander a bit at speed in a straight line, i think i need to redo my upper mounts to give it a bit more caster..but since you guys are still gunning for the article, il carry on with it and factor in some measurements to help correct it!

Reactions: blasterboy20xx
the bike should be about 46" wide if he used the YFZ (before they used the aluminum frame) dimensions for the upper/lower ctc distances

If you want to play with the caster, make the upper mounts wider than the arm, then use spacers/washers as shims so you can move the arms fore/aft to tweak the caster. You can leave it like that from there or take the settings you liked and redo the upper mounts to have a fixed caster.

Edit: just realized the necro XD information is still valid however, lol

Last edited:
i actually found soon after i posted that, that my tire pressures were all wrong and imbalanced! haha i corrected them and the handling is perfect now