yamaha blaster will not rev up

neil cashman

Oct 18, 2015
hi I have a blaster that wont rev up ive tried everything its had the tors removed the stators been changed the carb and cdi was swapped new coil and plug only thing ive not swapped is the flywheel ive heard that if the magnets were broke it would cause this problem ? any help wont be appreciated thanks neil.

When did the problem start? Did it work before the tore delete?

Couldn't hurt to clean the carb might be a clogged float valve , main jet, low fuel level in the bowl.
I would double check the new carb and go ahead and pull it apart and clean it really well. Check and set the float height, as well as note what main jet was in it as well as needle clip position etc.

Make sure the fuel flows out of the tank freely as well.

Sometimes water in the bowl can sit on the bottom and get picked up by the main jet.
If you do find water in the bowl , it wouldn't hurt to clean the tank out as well.

And as always take a minute to get back on and let us know what fixed it.

When did the problem start? Did it work before the tore delete?

Couldn't hurt to clean the carb might be a clogged float valve , main jet, low fuel level in the bowl.
I would double check the new carb and go ahead and pull it apart and clean it really well. Check and set the float height, as well as note what main jet was in it as well as needle clip position etc.

Make sure the fuel flows out of the tank freely as well.

Sometimes water in the bowl can sit on the bottom and get picked up by the main jet.
If you do find water in the bowl , it wouldn't hurt to clean the tank out as well.

And as always take a minute to get back on and let us know what fixed it.
hi ive swapped the carb off my sons mx bike and its still the same the main jet on the original carb is 220 ?

it
has a 5 wire stator but I think its an early machine are the cdi units compatible ?

not sure what you're saying exactly, but here's what I know..........

you cannot use an 88-02 CDI on a 03+ machine, the plugs are different.
the 03+ has the TORS built into it and the plug includes those wires also.

an 03+ 5 wire stator can be used with an 88-02 4 wire harness by grounding the extra (5th) green wire to the frame of the bike.

the main jet on the original carb is 220 ?

no, stock main jet, to be used on a completely stock blaster only, is 230

hi the quad is wired direct from stator to cdi it does have 2 earth wires from the stator though ? ive not looked at the reeds what do I need to check ?thanks neil.

be sure both those grounds you're refering to are solid black,
not black w/ white stripe < connecting them to bare frame or a solid black grounds out and kills the ignition

a quick peek .....pull the carb and look into intake with a flashlight to see if all 4 reed petals are present and not cracked.
better yet is to remove the intake and reed cage to give them a better look.
re-installing will require hi temp copper rtv or yamabond to seal all gaskets

hi there is 5 wires coming from the stator and 5 from the cdi
coming from the stator there's a red/black going to cdi and a white /black going to cdi I've checked the resistance and the red/black is 270 ohms to earth and the red/white is 22ohms
coming from the stator I have a black wire going to earth and a white/green going to earth
there a yellow /red going to voltage regulator
the cdi has wires coming from it and not a plug like some of the newer ones ive seen
I bought the quad as a project needing attention so ive never seen it run propperly

Might not hurt to study the 03+ wiring diagram as it sounds the stator and cdi that you have. My guess is it thinks the parking brake is set , I don't know much about it tho as I missed all the goodies by one year with an '02.
Model.
If you were to identify each wire color from each device and where or to what part and wire color it connected to, I think you might find one either out of place with a poor connection or shorted.

It might actually be easier to unhook the stator , cdi , safety switches, etc. And rewire there is a guide on here somewhere that details how to remove your wiring harness, cut out the unnecessary wires and rewire it only using the required wires.
There are several people on here that have and know their stuff on the 03+ models .
But yeah sometimes it's easier to just completely undo a shoddy wiring job. And rewire it yourself ,making sure to solder and seal or use proper connectors at the joints to prevent future problems.

Just my 2cents

Reactions: jvb
show us a pic of these wires/cdi stator ect if you can.
also if it is a aftermarket stator that cost 30bucks it wont worko_O
does it have a adjustable timing plate?

pics would really help:)

Reactions: jvb
Hi the cdi is wired direct to stator using the Red and white and black and white wires the cdi and stator are earthed with the black the orange from cdi goes to coil and the yellow/red goes to voltage regulator

We're you able to find or get a copy of the factory service manual? Should be a big help.
Unfortunately I don't have the 5 wire cdi setup, but I am sure someone who does will chime in before long.
Best of luck, let's us know what was actually wrong when you get it going , really helps the next guy in line with similar problems