Yamaha blaster top end noise

Evant

Oct 16, 2013
I have a 2006 yamaha blaster and it seems to be having a ding/ clinging noise from the topend and i dont think this is a normal sound and i was wondering what it could be? I did blow a head gasket but got it fixed and maybe when i was takeing in air the piston could be worn? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

how long did you ride it with the blown head gasket ?
is this noise something you just noticed after that ?
any mods that would require rejetting the carb ?

time for a compression test

I could get a video of it if it is possible to upload on this fourm? And yes tons of mods but it has big carb all rejetted. I will take a compression teat and let you all know. Im not sure if it is piston slap but if it is wouldnt that give me low low compression?

Piston slap is caused by the skirt of the piston being worn too small for the bore.

It has been known to still have reasonable compression when the piston skirt is below specs.

blasters are noisy even when all is well but 115 psi dont sound the best also that red silicone you put on the base is no good bad idea.what carb is that?

115 psi is usually a good sign of piston wear.

I would be removing the reed block and trying to feel if the piston is sloppy in the bore with my little pinky.

X2 on the silicone, there should be no excess squeezing outside, and none on the inside, just imagine the restriction in the transfers.

There is no need to use any sealant with new gaskets.

Reactions: motoman159
115 psi is usually a good sign of piston wear.

I would be removing the reed block and trying to feel if the piston is sloppy in the bore with my little pinky.

X2 on the silicone, there should be no excess squeezing outside, and none on the inside, just imagine the restriction in the transfers.

There is no need to use any sealant with new gaskets.
Don't I know all about that.....

haha well im going to tear it apart and replace the piston rings then. i hope theres nothing more than that? i checked the crank bearings and they seemed good a few weeks ago when i had it apart. some say its just the rings?