Yamaha Blaster shows signs of running rich and lean at the same time

tantaco1

May 13, 2018
First off, if this is the wrong place I'm sorry. I have a 1990 Yamaha blaster that i got for $320. Turns out it needed a top and bottom end rebuild. I took it apart, replaced the crank with a wiseco one, replaced the main bearings, and most of the seals. I then put it back together with a wiseco piston, rings, bearings, etc set. I started it up yesterday for the first time, and it ran meh. wouldn't idle, but it would run. I held the throttle open just enough to keep it running for about 15 minutes, then drove it around for a little bit, but it would never idle. today, i got it to kinda idle, but only on half choke. full choke, dies. no choke, dies. It also runs hot and started to melt the rubber connector between the expansion chamber and silencer before I shut it off. Also, the plug is sooty, as it looks like it is running rich. I don't know why it is running rich,nor do i know why turning the choke off doesn't make it run better. Also, I realized that that whole time I was running 1:50 premix instead of 1:32 for that whole time. I thought that the premix chainsaw containers made 1:32 but they make 1:50. Would this toast my rings in about 1 hour of total run time? I added oil to my tank to change the ratio back to an acceptable level, but I hope it's not too late. One final thing, what does that little plastic tube on the clutch cover do? It's hard to explain what I'm talking about, but it is a tube that juts out of the cover and it is approx. 1.5" long. It's not connected to anything. Would this cause my engine to run odd? Any help will be appreciated. I will answer all questions.

Stop, do not run it again until we figure this out.
is the oil injection still connected and operating ?
if it is disconnected is the injection nipple on the carb blocked off ?
are you mixing 32:1 ? if so the oil injection needs deleted properly and the nipple on carb blocked off

you don't mention what oil, just the container.....
if you put weedeater oil in it, please next time just send me the $ you just wasted !!!!!!!!!!
DO NOT EVER, NEVER, NEVER, RUN WEED EATER OR MARINE OIL IN ANY 2 STROKE OFFROAD ENGINE
use Yamalube mix oil, or Maxima Super M mix formula and mix 32:1 (4 ounces per gallon)
and get yourself a RatioRite cup for measuring your oil (ebay or your local dealer)
if still using the oil injection, YOU MUST use the injection formula of those 2 oils.

what pilot jet # ?
what is your airscrew set at ? 1.5 turns out to start.
float height ?
has the carb been properly cleaned ?
including using carb cleaner, compressed air and a small wire to poke out the jets ?
airfilter clean and oiled ?

pics of carb from both sides and whatever odd thing sticking out of clutch cover ?

Reactions: vandy24
Stop, do not run it again until we figure this out.
is the oil injection still connected and operating ?
if it is disconnected and the injection nipple on the carb blocked off.
are you mixing 32:1 ? if so the oil injection needs deleted properly and the nipple on carb blocked off

you don't mention what oil, just the container.....
if you put weedeater oil in it, please next time just send me the $ you just wasted !!!!!!!!!!
DO NOT EVER, NEVER, NEVER, RUN WEED EATER OR MARINE OIL IN ANY 2 STROKE OFFROAD ENGINE
use Yamalube mix oil, or Maxima Super M mix formula if mixing 32:1 (4 ounces per gallon)
and get yourself a RatioRite cup for measuring your oil (ebay or your local dealer)
if still using the oil injection, YOU MUST use the injection formula of those 2 oils.

what pilot jet # ?
what is your airscrew set at ? 1.5 turns out to start.
float height ?
has the carb been properly cleaned ?
including using carb cleaner, compressed air and a small wire to poke out the jets ?
airfilter clean and oiled ?

pics of carb from both sides and whatever odd thing sticking out of clutch cover ?
The oil injection is disconnected. I took out the pump, put a plug in the hole, and also plugged up the holes where the oil lines used to be. I also, albeit hillbilly, plugged up the oil injection port with a hose that was plugged up with silicone.I am now mixing 32:1 high quality 2 stroke atv oil. The oil I was using was the premix STIHL chainsaw oil that you mix with gas for the chainsaws. I'm not using that anymore. Pilot jet size is 32.5. I tried 1.5 turns out, and more out, and less out. Runs like crap no matter what. IDK float height, but it seems to work fine. Carb has been cleaned. Seems pretty clean inside it. Airfilter is clean. it is a K&N filter. One last thing. I looked in the manual and realized that the plug that im supposed to be using is a D8ES plug. The previous owner had a 71ECO plug in it, and I just went with it. Would this cause it to run so poorly?
20180517_170017.jpg
20180518_174753.jpg

Attachments

• 20180518_174852.jpg
    20180518_174852.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 313
  • 20180517_212514.jpg
    20180517_212514.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 386
The oil injection is disconnected. I took out the pump, put a plug in the hole, and also plugged up the holes where the oil lines used to be. I also, albeit hillbilly, plugged up the oil injection port with a hose that was plugged up with silicone.I am now mixing 32:1 high quality 2 stroke atv oil. The oil I was using was the premix STIHL chainsaw oil that you mix with gas for the chainsaws. I'm not using that anymore. Pilot jet size is 32.5. I tried 1.5 turns out, and more out, and less out. Runs like crap no matter what. IDK float height, but it seems to work fine. Carb has been cleaned. Seems pretty clean inside it. Airfilter is clean. it is a K&N filter. One last thing. I looked in the manual and realized that the plug that im supposed to be using is a D8ES plug. The previous owner had a 71ECO plug in it, and I just went with it. Would this cause it to run so poorly? View attachment 32724 View attachment 32725
Update: put a new plug in it, seems to tun a lot better. The plug that the manual says to use D8es which doesnt fit, so I used a B8es which worked. Why does the manual recommend a plug that doesnt fit.

Attachments

• 20180518_205621.jpg
    20180518_205621.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 290
Update: put a new plug in it, seems to tun a lot better. The plug that the manual says to use D8es which doesnt fit, so I used a B8es which worked. Why does the manual recommend a plug that doesnt fit.
As mentioned, use BETTER oil in it. Stihl oil may be fine for their chainsaw, but you're not riding a chainsaw, weed whacker, or a boat.

Mistakes/misprints happen. Have always seen Br8es as suggested plug. Or others in same heat range but different tip , EG EGV (?) , Different electrodes.
Clean carb and set float level, very important.

While these are simple machines, everything still has to be correct.

Also when cleaning the carb, write down pilot and main jet size, list ALL of your mods so it can be determined if you have correct jetting. Also very important!!

Also when cleaning the carb, write down pilot and main jet size, list ALL of your mods so it can be determined if you have correct jetting. Also very important!!
Jet sized are 32.5 pilot, and 230 main. I'm running vforce reeds, and a full Bill's exhaust system. Also have a KN filter. I have a wiseco piston in it too if that matters.

Main jet seems awfully small. Highly recommend you do a full throttle plug chop.
Don't know about a Blaster, but IIRC a Banshee favors a the bigger pilot jet with the V4s. So that should be fine.

Unfamiliar with the Bill's pipe and don't know if they might still have a web site to check recommended jetting.

Well, was trying to ride it all day and still runs like crap.i dont think its lean because when I turn the choke on, even half on, it I instantly dies.

ALL aftermarket pipes require richer main jetting than the stock 230, as does a K&N filter
I'd buy 270 thru 300 mains, start large and plug chop down.
before main jetting, get these correct first........
float height effects everything to do with jetting, it must be correct to start jetting
adjust airscrew for highest idle then turn idle down to desired rpm's
where's the needle clip position ? should be middle to start

ALL aftermarket pipes require richer main jetting than the stock 230, as does a K&N filter
I'd buy 270 thru 300 mains, start large and plug chop down.
before main jetting, get these correct first........
float height effects everything to do with jetting, it must be correct to start jetting
adjust airscrew for highest idle then turn idle down to desired rpm's
where's the needle clip position ? should be middle to start
I'll buy some larger main jets.needle position is in the 3rd position. I'll check float height today.

Reactions: Awk08