Yamaha Blaster Project

May 18, 2012
Scotland
Hi guys leaving in about 20 minutes on a 330 mile trip to pick up a Yamaha Blaster 2003.

it needs wiring loom and a cdi as it keeps popping the cdis (faulty wiring loom going by google)

il add pictures once i get back

in good condition for age

will be modified through time but will be staying as it is for now apart from a set of nerf bars.

It Is bone Stock.

Hi guys picked up the blaster :D

pretty clean little rust in places but nothing really.

guy i bought from gave me a receipt for parts and this is what its had done.

HDR Chain Sprocket Set
New Rear Brake Pads
Wiseco Crankshaft Assembly Seals,Bearings,Gaskets
Namura Piston Kit (standard)
Athena Top End Gaskets
Used Stater (which i think was to try to fix cdi popping issue but never did so sold it needing wiring loom and cdi)

i think it will be a easy fix as iv got a wiring loom on way just need to source a cdi so if you have one for sale and are in uk or can ship for cheap let me know :) (2003)

pictures :D

looks pretty good. Make sure you leak test it before doing anything else. Trust me, mine ran good so I just wanted to ride after people like Blaaster tried to tell me to leak test and I didn't. It ran awesome for about an hour then it was toast. Awk08 sells some really nice leak testers as about as cheap as you can build yourself and if he has the parts to make available or has some made, they get to you quick.

Reactions: Awk08
looks pretty good. Make sure you leak test it before doing anything else. Trust me, mine ran good so I just wanted to ride after people like Blaaster tried to tell me to leak test and I didn't. It ran awesome for about an hour then it was toast. Awk08 sells some really nice leak testers as about as cheap as you can build yourself and if he has the parts to make available or has some made, they get to you quick.

will do pal :) i just plan to get it running for now not to ride as i need to find a track to go to anyways as my local has just shut down. im doing my car licence in a few weeks so it will be better once i get a decent job and i have money behind me for to get out and go further a field.

my plan is just to get it going for now and il do a test on it and if fine take it to my local bing for to have some fun on it until i get a job and once iv got money saved il start my dismantling and modifying. will probably be going with my original blaster plans for modifications with elkas,a-arms,longer swingarm,race hood etc just need to fin a job first to pay for it lol not too bad as iv no ties or don't have my own place so can spend my wages on it all day long :)

If it were me, I would leak test it before I even start it to make sure you have no leaks that will damage it. But if it does have a leak, the previous owner probably rode it like that.

If it were me, I would leak test it before I even start it to make sure you have no leaks that will damage it. But if it does have a leak, the previous owner probably rode it like that.

yeah il try to do one before hand, i just don't get as previous owner spent a fair bit rebuilding it but was popping cdi units constantly. he said that he may have not got a good earth on it but il go over every wire and check. he replaced stator as well which im abit weary off as im not 100% sure as not had one apart from years but im not sure if the pre 2002 stators are same? if there not that may be issue as maybe he has bought a pre 2002 for a 2003. il check anyways i plan tomorrow to take stator cover off and check it and il strip wiring loom off it and go over it carefully to see if there is any damage to it. just id rather find out as don't fancy buying a cdi at £70/$100 and a wiring loom for it to pop if its nothing to do with it and has something to do with stator being wrong kind or even earth wire on wrong bitil have a look though i may buy a manual as i had one before and it was handy :)

You can download a manual on here I think. Someone who is more familiar should chime in with a manual download location. I don't know about 2003 and up but on the earlier models, you can get rid of quite a few wires.

You can download a manual on here I think. Someone who is more familiar should chime in with a manual download location. I don't know about 2003 and up but on the earlier models, you can get rid of quite a few wires.
Yeah mate i plan to remove the light maybe depending as i don't think il use it. also remove the tors thing previous owner removed pre mix bottle just to check oil pump to see if hes removed the gear from it

il see what happens today though as going to strip the wiring loom off and check the stator and compare them on both pre 2002 and 2003+

Before you start it again, leak test it, and I am serious, Jeff fell into a ride before leak test trap, it can be costly.

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads...ervice-and-owner-manuals-free-download.17325/

Cheers pal yeah i will il need to wait until i have funds before i message awk as i skint myself buying quad do you know what price the leak down testers are ? (im in uk so i think shipping would be more)

alright guys so i decided i would pull my flywheel cover off to inspect which im glad i did as when i did some water poured out. (not exactly sure if its water from inside engine or if its just with dampness from been lying as previous owner never ran it after doing rebuilding due to cdi kept popping. im going to order a flywheel holding tool and a puller and take it off and see what the look of stator is through flywheel it looks as guy said (he told me he had it rewinded by a local company to him) and it does look like it has as its like new. i have no doubt he done rebuild on it as engine has all the gaskets showing and are all fresh along with instant gasket on with the normal paper ones. just the water coming out flywheel cover scares me a little. managed to get my cdi unit box off so once iv sorted wiring loom and taken it off also, i bought the loom as there was the one in the uk at time and thought id get it lol but wont be starting it or even trying to until i find where this water has came from and has went too. anyone ever had this issue ? its not very much at all (about a table spoon and it was quite mucky so i think its likely have been water maybe from running the quad previously but i would of thought it would have dried out by now?

some pictures since i know you guys love pics :)

flywheel looks a little wet i think from pictures but my camera keeps going out of focus lol

cdi

i really need a bigger garden as this shed has no room to work!

Yea the cover doesn't seal very well. So if PO ran through water, that's probably where it came from. Water in there could possibly cause a short. Check your stator wires for cracks or breaks.

Either the previous owner is lieing about not running it after rebuild or somebody did a very poor quality rebuild on it. There is way too much dirt all over the motor.

I'm also curious about it repeatedly blowing CDIs. Never heard of that. If that is actually true, maybe the rewound stator is creating too much voltage out of the source coil or maybe the ignition coil has too low of resistance causing too much current draw.

I just went through this same problem well not the blowing cdi part but the water part . I also had a broken wire on the stator that I found . I am going to figure out a good way to seal this thing up or add a drain hose .

Yea the cover doesn't seal very well. So if PO ran through water, that's probably where it came from. Water in there could possibly cause a short. Check your stator wires for cracks or breaks.
yeah that's what i was thinking regarding shorting but il be taking stator out and checking it if i have funds there il maybe even just put another one on it. can these be rewound to put out more current?

Either the previous owner is lieing about not running it after rebuild or somebody did a very poor quality rebuild on it. There is way too much dirt all over the motor.

I'm also curious about it repeatedly blowing CDIs. Never heard of that. If that is actually true, maybe the rewound stator is creating too much voltage out of the source coil or maybe the ignition coil has too low of resistance causing too much current draw.
yeah i do think he has had it running at some point with the dirt on engine as anyone who rebuilt a engine would have cleaned i would of thought while it was out and he said he never ran it so it would have been spotless. the receipts were only for last month as well so not sure il probably end up inspecting it while i am doing electrics on it maybe he has had it running and something else went on it but il find out lol il be spending money upgrading it anyways so il spend what i have to .to get it going. was a wiseco crank he used according to receipts as well it said something about a broken woodruff key online but i can't exactly remember if these motors have one? as it said about if its broken its maybe not putting enough or putting too much current out

I just went through this same problem well not the blowing cdi part but the water part . I also had a broken wire on the stator that I found . I am going to figure out a good way to seal this thing up or add a drain hose .

yeah i never had any issues with my previous blaster with water and i use to go through alot of water as it was mainly wet when i went out with quad. im going to replace the gasket i think on the stator cover as it looks to me as its been either reused or its been off a few times as when i rebuild my engine 2 year back the gasket was quite stiff to put it on and off but this isn't. i need to remove the tors thing as well its been disconnected but rather remove it all together and just put a cable and cap on

Last edited:
hey guys got my clutch holding tool through today along with my wiring loom to replace my one guy also threw in a voltage regulator and a new head gasket :)

Reactions: jimmu
Hi guys i stripped my Wiring Loom Off Today. took flywheel and stator off but stator is spotless with no damage to wires etc so refitted it

had to order a set of crimping tools and insulating tape along with a cdi so im just waiting on them arriving before i can do anything else. need to crimp wires on the new looms for stator as old one has the spade type ones but i only have the bullet type here which should be fine.

hopefully it will run once fitting all this. i took my tank off and sanded my frame a little where coil is for the ground wire as it was on silver paint and not bare frame so that's ready to refit too. just waiting on stuff selling as once running im going to order a toomey exhaust :D also thanks to AWK il be ordering a set of Works Shocks after christmas (hes helping me get them to uk as the company im buying from wont ship them outside the us) im going for +3 1 up american star a-arms :)

Last edited: