Yamaha Blaster Frame Swap

DFL33

Dec 12, 2012
I just got what was originally a 2003 Yamaha Blaster, it was crashed into a tree and the 2003 frame was ruined. The kid I got it from bought a 2002 frame as a replacement and when he tried swapping everything over he said things didn't line up. Is there anything I could do to make the 2002 frame work or should I just buy a 2003-2006 frame?

I just got what was originally a 2003 Yamaha Blaster, it was crashed into a tree and the 2003 frame was ruined. The kid I got it from bought a 2002 frame as a replacement and when he tried swapping everything over he said things didn't line up. Is there anything I could do to make the 2002 frame work or should I just buy a 2003-2006 frame?

Hi and welcome, as far as i know the 2003 was the start of the new style blasters! As in hydro brakes, New style plastics so i am pretty sure the frame will have new or moved mounting holes for things! Hope this helps

stock with the 02 I have one with 03+ parts on it, yeah u will have to make some new mounting holes for the front cowl but other than that all my other mounting holes were good and the rear brakes but awk has mounting brackets for the rear hydro swap on 02 and below frames and brake pedal. No point in wasting the money on a new frame when u can make this one work with very minor fabbing

/\ that.
all the major components will bolt right on...suspension/engine/steering/plastics ect.
it's mainly the hood and rear brake that'll need attention

the mountings for the electronics under the hood are different (easy fix) i might even have that piece i cut off ??
the bracket for the brake line is on your steering stem mount i believe.
there will be 2 hood mounts on the sides missing (lots of guys run 03 hoods on 02 frames without them)
and the rear master mount (i can help you there, bolt on or weld on)

i went over my 05 frame and cut off what wasnt needed, then welded tabs on where needed (hood & electronics), before it got painted
fairly simple mods
i have pics of an 03 frame, and a bare 99 layin at the shop, maybe i could make a comparison pics post/thread ??

/\ that.
all the major components will bolt right on...suspension/engine/steering/plastics ect.
it's mainly the hood and rear brake that'll need attention

the mountings for the electronics under the hood are different (easy fix) i might even have that piece i cut off ??
the bracket for the brake line is on your steering stem mount i believe.
there will be 2 hood mounts on the sides missing (lots of guys run 03 hoods on 02 frames without them)
and the rear master mount (i can help you there, bolt on or weld on)

i went over my 05 frame and cut off what wasnt needed, then welded tabs on where needed (hood & electronics), before it got painted
fairly simple mods
i have pics of an 03 frame, and a bare 99 layin at the shop, maybe i could make a comparison pics post/thread ??

Thanks for the info...I don't have a welder so any brackets I would need would have to bolt on.