Yamaha Blaster Bogs and 'Pops'?

FMF

Mar 13, 2010
My 05' Yamaha Blaster will run, but in high rpms bogs out and pops loudly. I tried to start it the other day and it idled for a second then made a very loud POP noise then the engine died. Any ideas?? Do I need a top end rebuild?

My 05' Yamaha Blaster will run, but in high rpms bogs out and pops loudly. I tried to start it the other day and it idled for a second then made a very loud POP noise then the engine died. Any ideas?? Do I need a top end rebuild?

Well a compression test will tell you if you have issues on the top end, but that sounds like air/fuel. Did something change recently, add any mods, carb work, etc? Do you still have your oil injection hooked up and running? Can you confirm it is working?

I will say something mixture related, at least start there. Check your spark plug, replace if you have another, test it, etc.

Let us know...

sounds like an airleak or out of timing issue, try a leakdown test or (redneck) sraying starter fluid while its running to test for airleaks
and pull the flywheel and check the woodruff key

Ok yeh I put a FMF system on it which it was running fine with that for awhile, but it still has stock jetting and I put a K&N air filter in it.

How do I go about doing a compression test? And could I just do a top end rebuild to fix it??