would these lights work?

blasterboy32

Jan 9, 2012
harrisburg, pennsylvania
i bought my blaster with out a headlight on it but i believe the wiring is still there. Could i just go to an autoparts stoore and buy small led lights or something like that and bolt them on? would they be able to hook up to the stock wiring somehow? Could someone post a pic of what the wires look like that connect to the headlight so i can see if my quad still has them.

I was wondering the same thing since j went out and recently bought a set of fog lights from auto zone (banshee style). I haunt found time to install them yet & to be honest I'm a little nervous to start messing around with my electrical system lol. Maybe someone can post a DIY video...

Search for the wally lights diy thread to see how other people are hooking lights up. As long as you have lights that are less than 55 watts you should be okay. I put the wal-mart driving lights on mine and total cost was about $30. Works great.

I'm thinking about picking up a set of pilot fog light housings from Napa, they're on sale at mine right now for $15. My fenders are removed so I was planning to mount the lights to what is left of the fender support. I am more function over form anyhow. Then I was going to get a slim ballast HID kit from DDM and install it.

For those of you who are not familiar, HID or High Intensity Discharge, is just another form of bulb. You can read for hours on it and get thousands of opinions, but in my experience a 35W HID is quite a bit brighter than a 55W halogen.

As far as power, per DDM they use 70W to start and 40W once they are burning (Those numbers are for the whole system), I am hoping the system will be able to handle it, the firing only takes about 5 seconds. I am tossing around the idea of a capacitor, to take the load off when it fires.

Just an idea, I'll post when I get around to it.

I wonder if and how long the stock lighting coil could handle + 15 watts + the initial charging of the cap, ???? watts.

Attempting to draw extra power is going to reduce the voltage some, I am not well enough informed to know if a HID is voltage sensitive.

Maybe an aftermarket high output coil would do the job.

One of the best parts about HID's is they are very resilient to voltage. You can run them anywhere from 9v to 15v with good results, I've found. I'm not sure the stock charging system couldn't handle the inital shock by itself, to be honest. The only thing I can see is maybe the voltage would drop so low it wouldn't fire them, so you may have to rev the bike when you turn them on.

A capacitor, in hindsight isn't good for this application. The only time it would be charged is after they had been on and fired. I would need a system to charge the capacitor when the lights are off, but then let the lights use the stored charge to fire, I'm sure thats possible, but probably a lot more trouble than its worth.

I think tonight I am going to play with my lights in my pickup (aforementioned 35W HID kit), and see what the actual draw is both when firing and when running.

I may end up putting in a heavy duting stator if I can get my hands on one cheap. I have also looked at installing an auxiliary battery, that way I could power other things as well.