Wossner piston ring

Tommyz125

Oct 25, 2016
Québec, Canada
Hi people, i have bent a ring while slidind piston on sleeve, so i have decide to leave only the upper ring on piston, the piston is now rocking on the bore when cold. I now understand something , air cooled =greater telerence (looser pîston to cylinder clearance) why the need of a second ring to stabilise piston on the bore. And maybe little more torque at low revs. Anyway can anybody tell me where to find rings for wossner piston?

You can run one ring, and you will lose some low end torque.
We do it with KTM Wossner pistons all the time. Run it in the top groove.
The only reason for 2 rings is for better low speed sealing.
It has nothing to do with stabilizing the piston.
There is sometimes a top rpm power gain from running only one ring.

Reactions: blasterboy91
You can run one ring, and you will lose some low end torque.
We do it with KTM Wossner pistons all the time. Run it in the top groove.
The only reason for 2 rings is for better low speed sealing.
It has nothing to do with stabilizing the piston.
There is sometimes a top rpm power gain from running only one ring.
It do stabilise the piston a bit, when i have started rhe engine the piston is slapping hard on wall when cold and it get better as it warm up.

Any amount of piston slap is bad, have you measured the bore for out of round and taper?
The last time i have tear apart the engine, piston to wall clearance OK , bur now i think il need a rebore... I have seized my piston on the last ride, first ride at-18°Celcius= to lean jetting.... SHIIIT

La plupart des motoneiges sont "jetted" tres riches a cause de ce. Ils sont "jetted" a -40c et quand il fait plus chaud, ils sont trop riches, mais ils sont surs. Je n'sais pas le mot pour "jetting" en francais. Est que cest la meme?

Vous devez toujours regarder les bougies. De preference, une nouvelle bougie. J'aime cette mot, "bougie". C'est pourquoi je voulais repondre en francais!

You must always look at your sparkplugs and 10*c is a huge change.
Any more than 10*c up or down you need to reconsider your jetting.

La plupart des motoneiges sont "jetted" tres riches a cause de ce. Ils sont "jetted" a -40c et quand il fait plus chaud, ils sont trop riches, mais ils sont surs. Je n'sais pas le mot pour "jetting" en francais. Est que cest la meme?

Vous devez toujours regarder les bougies. De preference, une nouvelle bougie. J'aime cette mot, "bougie". C'est pourquoi je voulais repondre en francais!

You must always look at your sparkplugs and 10*c is a huge change.
Any more than 10*c up or down you need to reconsider your jetting.
Jetting sa fait la job, c'est comme ça que je le dit aussi haha, jetting is the way i tell haha, continu d'ecrire en francais c'est drôle.

Reactions: best
IMG_20170305_105608822.jpg
1488839119611549057314.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170305_105608822.jpg
    IMG_20170305_105608822.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20170305_105458759.jpg
    IMG_20170305_105458759.jpg
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 132
I've done that with a lot of sleds. Cold weather, partial seize. I've used muriatic acid or oven cleaner to remove the aluminum from the iron cylinder and usually just cleaned the ring grooves in the piston. I would scrape or remove the aluminum on the cylinder before using the hone.

Quand j'suis jeune, je n'avais pas l'argent pour des nouveau pistons. En acadien, qui est parler ici, ont peut librement mixer des langues. Si vous ne connaissez pas les mots en francais, vous pouvez utiliser le mot anglais a sa place.

I've done that with a lot of sleds. Cold weather, partial seize. I've used muriatic acid or oven cleaner to remove the aluminum from the iron cylinder and usually just cleaned the ring grooves in the piston. I would scrape or remove the aluminum on the cylinder before using the hone.

Quand j'suis jeune, je n'avais pas l'argent pour des nouveau pistons. En acadien, qui est parler ici, ont peut librement mixer des langues. Si vous ne connaissez pas les mots en francais, vous pouvez utiliser le mot anglais a sa place.
Pas de trouble mon boy, on s'arrenge avec ce qu'on as!

Reactions: best