Won't start once warm? And mix ratio

red102793

Jun 4, 2009
Hey guys have a couple questions
First is that after it warms up it doesn't like to start, in fact I haven't been able to get it started again. I've messed with the choke and what gear it's in and still nothing? Also I'm running 50:1 and was wondering if that was a good ratio? I've only had about 5 hours of riding time in my life so any other advice about these or riding in general just let me know! Thanks

this is very similar to the problem i am having. However mine is more overheating and not starting then being warmed up and not starting. I need to check for air leaks or/and ovaled cylender, so i suggest you do the same. If its not over heating, then your mixture screw could be too rich, but your running 50:1, which i change to 32:1 like specialized said then go from there.

Thanks for the advice, could a fouled spark plug cause this? When I got it the guy said it could probabley use one? Also will going through one tank of gas at 50:1 be really bad for it or should I change it out now because I just filled it. I'll check the filter tommorow. Also I've had it about a week and ridden it about 2 hours, the only thing I've done is put a full tank of gas in it.

Air cooled 2stroke engines need to be a little rich. 32-1

Also your rings could be fried

Correct me if I'm wrong don't engines smoke a lot when your rings are gone and mine doesn't smoke that much. Bare with me here, I'm used to working on cars

this is very similar to the problem i am having. However mine is more overheating and not starting then being warmed up and not starting. I need to check for air leaks or/and ovaled cylender, so i suggest you do the same. If its not over heating, then your mixture screw could be too rich, but your running 50:1, which i change to 32:1 like specialized said then go from there.

I feel like a bit of an idiot asking this but how do I know when it's overheating/overheated, on car you got the whole white smoke but this things don't even have a radiator.

Thanks for the advice, could a fouled spark plug cause this? When I got it the guy said it could probabley use one? Also will going through one tank of gas at 50:1 be really bad for it or should I change it out now because I just filled it. I'll check the filter tommorow. Also I've had it about a week and ridden it about 2 hours, the only thing I've done is put a full tank of gas in it.

Just measure out the rest and mix the tank up

yea change ur ratio mix like already said,change your plug,clean air filter,clean ur carb,and do you have the oil injecton off?alot of people say they got out frequently so i would get a block off kit if i was you

no I haven't yet, I need to get the crank case seal and go in and take the gear out for it but I just ordered a front bearing kit and the pivot shaft because mine is bent over and the nut is gone so. i'll have to wait untill next week.

Last edited:
wow, this things just full of suprises, I go to check the air filter and find a K&N filter on it that looks brand new!! But I did find a little oil at the bottom of the intake that underneath the filter, is that suppose to be like that? I added some more oil and shook up the wheeler and after letting warm up with out riding it, I stalled it and it wouldn't start again. Also after looking at the carb I found alittle tag that said boyseen on it? Wonder what else it has?

MAYBE ur plug is fouled...the bottom end( transcase) is totally separate from the piston and crank..just so u know the only way crank and piston get oil is from premix...yes it is common to have lil traces of oil under filter.

Alright just double checking but I'm pretty sure my plug is fouled, it's covered in oil and the prong is black. I'm going out tonight to pick up some parts a spark plug isn't too expensive?

:) You guys were right it was a fouled plug. Just went down to the local yamaha dealership and bought new front bearings, pivot shaft and nut and a new spark plug. Now she starts right up no matter hot or cold! You guys rock and thanks so much for your help but I need one last piece of advice, how should I take of my lug nuts? I was going to use the torch but just wanted to make sure I could first.

huh? why not just turn em off? you mean the lug nuts on your wheels right? you can use and impact gun, breaker bar, ratchet, neumatic ratchet........
as for the plug prob. if the plug was carbon or oil fouled, it most likely will happen again real soon. find the reason why this happened. your rich oil mixture could certainly have caused it. but i'd do a plug test in all circuits to test the jetting for sure.
also, check to make sure the oil injection is blocked off, cuz if it's still operational and you're putting oil in the gas as well, it'll be way too rich.

well there's no oil in the injection system so I'm not worried, I got the lug nuts off with some heat but now I can't get the friggin bolts on the rotor off? It feels like it's going to strip and I'm out of gas for the torch