wont start and makes weird noises

greasemonkey

Jan 3, 2012
Kingsport, TN
ok so we went riding on buffalo mountain and i started having problems with my throttle getting tight then i would lose all pressure on the throttle. i got aggrevated and started tinkering around with it. turns out the tors unit isnt good with mud holes so i tried my best to avoid them as i came down the mountain and it got to where i was loosing power and it wouldnt start back when it died. so i figured out that if i turn the idle up on the tors it would start back up. a 2 hour trip turned into 9 hours in the mountain trying to get back out. finally it quit running and i gave up. a friend towed me out and in the parking lot i accidentally slipped off the clutch and it started right up. had a slight knocking but it ran pretty good. i dont have a garage to work on it in so i let my cousin put it in his garage til i could save a lil money and work on it. he called me yesterday and said he doesnt know what was wrong with it, he had "rode the piss out of it all day and it just stopped and would start back" i told him when i took it there not to ride it until i worked out the bugs. now it wont start and it feels like the clutch isnt working, try to roll start it and a knocking is heard when its in gear with or without the clutch. it has some compression but i dont know how much they are suppose to have. im aggrevated and i cant afford to pay a labor charge so im gonna have to fix it myself. still considering legally making him pay for it if he refuses when i talk to him next. any help would be appreciated. oh and he thinks hes a mechanic but he dont know sh*t and he said he didnt do anything to it except ride it but i will never know the truth. please help me, i dont want to have to get rid of my blasty. thanks in advance

you have a problem my friend!

Sounds to me like you have experienced a number of issues which have led to the demise of your blaster starting with a sticky throttle probably caused by a rusty cable, a dirty carb and a very siezed tors linkage. your lack of idling could also be a dirty carb and a blocked pilot system.

The knocking is a bad sign. you probably have broken the skirt off the piston.

As for the clutch, well that is also disturbing, there may be simple wear or you may have damaged the basket.

My advice would to get it away from your cousin and dont let him touch it ever again. I cant figure out however why you would have left the key with him, unless you operate without a key.

ok so i will pull the exhaust tomorrow and check where i can see the rings but i checked out my reeds and they looked good and i looked into the jug and pushed the kick start easily with my hand and it looked ok however... when i was putting my reeds back in i decided to clean them off where i had grease on my hands and i noticed on the bottom side what looked like a single silver piece of glitter. could have easily come off my hand from taking out bolts and handling my frame in places but there may be an underlying problem. also when i tried to start it i would give her a few good kicks and at the end of the rotation on about the fourth or fifth i could hear a vibrating noise that ive never heard before. the noise i was talking about earlier when i said i tried to roll it off didnt sound funny from the motor it sounded like it was coming from the tranny and i dont have as much kick on my starter as i had before he put his filfthy hands on it. and you are correct on the no key... kinda, my cousins ( same cousin that put me in this boat) 2 year old son broke my key off in the ignition, how i will never know, leaving just a small piece that has to be removed with pliers and after riding for 9 hours and fighting the blasty i just didnt want to fool with that key that day.