wont idle. then revs real high and I can't shut it off

nolyad

Jan 18, 2014
Hi I have an 03 blaster and I'm having an issue with the idle. the bike won't stay running if I don't keep hitting the throttle. and occasionally when I hit the throttle and then let go the engine just continues to rev up as if I'm holding the throttle all the way down and at that point I can't shut the engine off until it just stalls on its own. I removed TORS and I took the carb off and cleaned it all out. put new gas in and the problem is the same. anybody have this experience or have any ideas for me? anything would be appreciated thanks!!

Did you remove the TORs or just disconnect it?

You need to splice both ends of the wires together.

If you removed it completely, did you install the new idle screw? If not you need that

Leak test the motor before you run it again, leaks can cause revving idle by itself

Welcome to the forum. I:I

Definatly sounds leaky, do the following before starting it again!

14mqc1y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i did splice the wires together and soldered them. i also installed the new idle screw. But i will try the leak test next. Unreal how helpful people are, thanks so much for the nudge in the right direction!

well i did what you guys said and it is a pretty significant leak. so bad that i couldnt even pump air into it because it came out just as fast as i could pump it in. so i plugged the compressor up and let air in just gently enough to find the leak. air blew out forcefully from the spot i circled in red. here is a picture of where it is. i believe it is called the base gasket?? with such a bad leak, my common sense tells be the gasket needs to be replaced and i have to remove the engine to do so. am i wrong? and if this is what i have to get in to, is there anything specifically that i should do while i have all of this apart, other than changing the gasket obviously? thanks again for taking the time to help!

Last edited:
cant see the pics but base gasket can be changed with engine in bike.i would use only cometic or Yamaha gaskets.while you are in there I would check bore measurements piston to cylinder clearance and ring end gap also check play in rod bearing good to check all these while its apart

alright I'll make sure to do all that.. now if I end up getting a top end kit and boring and all that and the wiseco kit comes with all those gaskets, should I scrap those gaskets and still go with only cometic or Yamaha? Or are those ones that wiseco makes good too? I just assumed with the high quality products they typically have, they wouldn't send crappy gaskets

alright I'll make sure to do all that.. now if I end up getting a top end kit and boring and all that and the wiseco kit comes with all those gaskets, should I scrap those gaskets and still go with only cometic or Yamaha? Or are those ones that wiseco makes good too? I just assumed with the high quality products they typically have, they wouldn't send crappy gaskets

i think the wiseco kits include the green paper gaskets ?
i always order the piston and gasket set seperately to insure i get the good gaskets.
ken oconnor racing can supply you a wiseco piston and the correct gaskets.
kenoconnorracing.com or give him a call, the # is on the site

thanks for the info! I feel like I'd be screwed without this help, greatly appreciated