winter jetting

ngellerbusch

Jul 8, 2013
Not sure if I need to go up one jet or two its been pretty dang cold in mn and having some issues getting to run with out the choke pulled out to the first notch. When its pulled it runs great no bogging or idle hang just not sure if I should go up one or two jets.

Play safe and go up 2 jets sizes, the worst thing you may do is foul a plug.

I always run rich and have never yet in 55 years fouled one.

Sometimes certain pipes demand that you richen up the needle some, especially the low/mid ones.

One size up for every 20* drop in temps from your "perfect" jetting at whatever temp.

So from summer to now, you would increase 3 sizes. For near zero, 4 sizes.

Be aware it is possible to cold sieze a properly warmed up engine. High speeds (think wind chill) low temps (zero) . That's what happened to my son. 3 mile ride to the lake (nice and warmed up) 6th gear WFO at zero = new piston/bore. Piece of cardboard for a protector would work

The problem is is that I have yet to pull the head off and measure bore leak test I have been running a 350 jet 24 to one koltz tech. Mods I know of find fatty pipe turbine core trail legal pipe vforce 4reeds knn filter no air box. I was told has hot rod crank wiseco piston. It runs like a top no issues what so ever starts second kick in summer and about 6 kicks in the cold after adjusting pilot screw took a little bit the first day out to get it where it needed to be for correct idle. With choke pullout on stock carb to the first catch it runs I let it warm up for around ten min if I push it in in bogs bad but if its out runs just like it did all summer .

Well realize when you pull the choke it creates a rich condition so if its running properly with the choke out then you're running lean. your jetting could be the problem but could have a leak somewhere 2. You definitely need to get things checked out before you hurt your blasty. I don't know much on the jetting aspect but those guys do, rich is always better than lean.

Sounds like an airleak.

Is the air filter directly on the carb? Replace that with a foam filter asap

I highly suggest a leak test before you run it again, that high jet is probably masking an airleak somewhere!

No the filter is in its stock location with out a lid I need to get a leak tester just have not built or bought one cause I ran great all summer I didn't think it was needed. I've put close to 15 hrs on it with no issues but I also have not really done any long rides yet due to I usually ride all one due to none of my friends having a quad.

Not trying to sound like sour grapes but every 2 stroke should be tested for leaks at re-build and then at least twice a season.

The best tool in the box is a leak tester, I would not be without one.

Its a 350 and it runs great I've done plug chops even jetted it down 340 320 both were running lean this summer so I put the 350 back in it if it had major issues I would have idle hang bogging and it wouldn't start second kick so I find it hard to believe that I have a major issue.

Not sure if I need to go up one jet or two its been pretty dang cold in mn and having some issues getting to run with out the choke pulled out to the first notch. When its pulled it runs great no bogging or idle hang just not sure if I should go up one or two jets.

where are u at in Minnesota??