Windows 7 ultimate or 8 pro upgrade cd?

ilm121209

Jan 28, 2014
phila pa
I have Windows 7 home premium on my older pc build, 780I sli ftw mobo, dual 9800gt, 1.5tb storage, etc.. I was hoping someone in the Philadelphia area has a 7 ultimate or 8 pro CD I could borrow, literally for just a day. I could trade some factory blaster parts for the loan. Please let me know. Thanks

If you "borrow" a disk, you also need the activation code.

Most people i talk to say they hate windows 8 for 1-3 months. then they get used to it and like it

Windows 8 was so bad for me, it made up my mind to go Apple all the way!

I have a new laptop just sitting around doing nothing as I refuse to work with Windows 8!

That makes 3 of us. Please take me back to XP. I work in a computer driven environment and I would much rather have Windows XP back. Just my $.02

The wheels fell off when Vista arrived on the scene, ever since then everything has been memory hungry and internet costly.

An example I loaded my iPad with $180 worth of prepaid cellular data last November and still have $62 of credit left.

My PC with Windows 8 was costing me over $100 a month with a similar data pack.

Since changing to a Mac book pro 2 months ago I have used only $30 using a similar data pack.

Windows is continually updating and was costing me a fortune, glad I changed to Apple!

For us in the states. Most of us have unlimited internet...

Most of the data usage probably depends on which browser you use. Which one compacts stuff the most

yeah i have unlimited internet and its for a tower pc so i usually dont take it anywhere. however i did build a full custom removable setup to mount it into my is300 when we go on road trips. computer mounted in the trunk, removable screen on the dash, wireless keyboard/trackpad combo and a cellular modem.

I used to build computers, so take heed.

I had my laptop rocked over with a rocking chair and it broke the screen. When I got ready to deploy to Afghanistan, I wasn't about to drag my laptop along with an external monitor, so I bought a new laptop.

The first thing I noticed was that there is no search function without going into the "we're windows so we're going to do some super dumb sh*t like make your computer act like a much less capable tablet" -area, which is accessible via the windows key between "fn" and "alt".

Next, there is no start menu, which leads to you either having to search for computer drives, control panel, documents, and other otherwise quick locations, or saving everything on your desktop, ultimately cluttering it up.

Next, when you hit ctrl+alt+del and select the task manager, it takes anywhere from 15 seconds to 5 minutes. This is largely dependent on whether your system.exe decides to leak and hog every ounce of your memory. However, if system.exe doesn't leak, fear not! Service Host: Local System is sure to.

Compatibility mode is rarely compatible, general lag is very prominent, crashes are frequent, games CTD (crash to desktop) almost 4-5 times/day...

BUT, it gets better.

You can't delete a great number of files because you, even as the system administrator, don't have the rights to access or modify the files. The fix for this is to go in with full safe mode, select the .dat and .cfg files, and delete them, then delete the .exe and other data files, THEN delete the folder.

But this is the best one so far...

I tried to log on a few weeks ago (keep in mind that windows requires you to create an account and password that is linked to your email and log in through that), and I didn't have the rights to log into my own account.

I had to log on through a guest account and set that account to a system administrator via control panel, move all of my files (180GB), redo all of my settings, set everything back to how I had it, to include desktop background, folder locations, EVERYTHING.

Don't get Windows 8. Not even f*cking joking.

I tried to revert to Windows 7U, but it wouldn't allow me to without completely reformatting the hard drive. From there, my hardware wouldn't work with Windows 7U no matter the plugin, which is baffling, even to current professionals. I had to revert to Windows 8POS. Luckily, I backed everything up to my external HD.

If they have a help desk number, I've yet to find it. They'd have gotten an earful from this guy on a great number of occasions.

Maybe they thought that 2 decades of doing the same thing with somewhat happy users would get old. So let's make it easy for first time PC users and harder for everyone that already has it. I have no (insert every foul word in every language, ever) clue why they did what they did with W8, but I can assure you that if Bill Gates getting fired doesn't fix it, I'm going to learn Linux and just trash my PC.

Last edited:
I used to build computers, so take heed.

I had my laptop rocked over with a rocking chair and it broke the screen. When I got ready to deploy to Afghanistan, I wasn't about to drag my laptop along with an external monitor, so I bought a new laptop.

The first thing I noticed was that there is no search function without going into the "we're windows so we're going to do some super dumb sh*t like make your computer act like a much less capable tablet" -area, which is accessible via the windows key between "fn" and "alt".

Next, there is no start menu, which leads to you either having to search for computer drives, control panel, documents, and other otherwise quick locations, or saving everything on your desktop, ultimately cluttering it up.

Next, when you hit ctrl+alt+del and select the task manager, it takes anywhere from 15 seconds to 5 minutes. This is largely dependent on whether your system.exe decides to leak and hog every ounce of your memory. However, if system.exe doesn't leak, fear not! Service Host: Local System is sure to.

Compatibility mode is rarely compatible, general lag is very prominent, crashes are frequent, games CTD (crash to desktop) almost 4-5 times/day...

BUT, it gets better.

You can't delete a great number of files because you, even as the system administrator, don't have the rights to access or modify the files. The fix for this is to go in with full safe mode, select the .dat and .cfg files, and delete them, then delete the .exe and other data files, THEN delete the folder.

But this is the best one so far...

I tried to log on a few weeks ago (keep in mind that windows requires you to create an account and password that is linked to your email and log in through that), and I didn't have the rights to log into my own account.

I had to log on through a guest account and set that account to a system administrator via control panel, move all of my files (180GB), redo all of my settings, set everything back to how I had it, to include desktop background, folder locations, EVERYTHING.

Don't get Windows 8. Not even f*cking joking.

I tried to revert to Windows 7U, but it wouldn't allow me to without completely reformatting the hard drive. From there, my hardware wouldn't work with Windows 7U no matter the plugin, which is baffling, even to current professionals. I had to revert to Windows 8POS. Luckily, I backed everything up to my external HD.

If they have a help desk number, I've yet to find it. They'd have gotten an earful from this guy on a great number of occasions.

Maybe they thought that 2 decades of doing the same thing with somewhat happy users would get old. So let's make it easy for first time PC users and harder for everyone that already has it. I have no (insert every foul word in every language, ever) clue why they did what they did with W8, but I can assure you that if Bill Gates getting fired doesn't fix it, I'm going to learn Linux and just trash my PC.

the beauty of linux is that its free if you know how to use it. i have 14.1 cinnamon now but the windows is easier for file transfers and general use stuff, web browsing, torrents etc.... there are a ton of win8 start menu programs available that make things easier. and once you get used to the win 8 its not that bad. im on it now on my wifes laptop. though i would much rather get my hands on that win 7 ultimateeeee. noone? really?

I wish my windows 98 hadn't burned in a fire a couple years ago, I ran that thing for 14 years, got it when I was a teen and downloaded all kinds of crap. Formatted HD once a year and she just kept on tickin. Not very often you can pass a computer to your kids that you got as a teen lol. I hate all the new ones haven't messed with 8 yet but took my awhile to get used to 7 and still have problems with crap. Windows tries to pump crap out so quick it takes 3 years of downloading updates to finally get it right and by then your 2 os's behind. That is cool putting it in your car though as a teen I always wanted to incorporate mine into my entertainment center and now its commonplace

That makes 3 of us. Please take me back to XP. I work in a computer driven environment and I would much rather have Windows XP back. Just my $.02
I found an old copy of xp home edition from my old dell. You're welcome to it, but i can't find the code so may be useless. Not to mention its scratched up pretty bad haha

i've watched windows progress to new user, automated bullshit, since back when i had windows 95 and had full control of everything.
it gets worse and worse with each version. i run vista now and this admin nonsense is crap.
i bought a linix based repair cd, which runs solely off the cd, to fix some problems recently on a crashed toshiba i bought for $50, and will continue to play with linux until i get it down, then i'm going strictly linux,
as thats what all android phones run, and i have zero problems with any of them so far.
i do the same things on my phones as i do the lappy, not even once has any protection program found a bit of spyware, malware or virus. i feel like i'm wasting my time running them :)
i don't think my current moto-x has ever been turned off or rebooted since new, let alone crash.
i swear it's windows themselves behind all the crap their OS is susceptable too, just so those who don't know how to clean and maintain them have to buy a new one every 2 years.
taking away the user control is also part of the windows conspiracy :eek:

^^^I'm with you on that, Bill Gates legacy is not windows, its how to get people to buy something over and over even though it gets worse lol. Lots of people I know bring there computers to me to "fix" them, but really all I do is clean all the crap off em. I got Linux back around 2001 from a professor at ITT, but I couldn't find the drivers I needed back then and just gave up. I did have it running and liked it, but without correct drivers it was very limited. I would be interested to see what its like these days.

Windows is becoming too "user friendly"

Making it so simple even the 18 year old blondes can figure it out. they just put in their account info when it prompts and the computers do the work

Reactions: tfaith08
Well, it isn't so much for me that it's user friendly, it's more along the lines of it being NOT advanced-user friendly. I can't get the same things done with W8 in anywhere near the amount of time that I could with W7, let alone XP. I still run my gaming/CFD/CAD rig without ever touching the internet. Windows is at it's best right when it's installed. After it touches the internet, the countdown starts.

Here's a nice gem. At the moment, I have Firefox with 2 tabs open and task manager open and nothing else. My disk and CPU are at 99%. 5 minutes ago, I was running Skyrim. How in the hell does that work?

I can run Crysis (PC killer of a game if there ever was one) on my gaming rig and it never maxes the CPU, GPU, or memory out unless I crank the anti-aliasing past 4x. I tried to see what it would take to make BSOD hit, and it took over 200 windows of Facebook before it crashed. I don't dare let my general computer see more than 4 tabs.

I need to get Linux...

Im laughing at all this since I used to work for IBM for 25 yrs.
It really depends on what you want to do , each operating system was designed for bussiness with a purpose consumer was secondary. .Window 95 was basic operations, Windows Xp was a good program to run automated proceses. Windows Vista was a joke , Windows 7 was a patch fix for Vista. Windows 8 was designed for touch screen and security. But wait there more ...never mind.

Ok, im a win 8 hater too, vista really sucked too! But win 7 is 'ok', or should I rather say, 'acceptable'...
XP was the shizniz!!! I still run it on my laptop though and it just works right!!! I use 7 on my desktop, and while its 'nice', I battle very much with program compatability and driver issues... (my laser printer works, but has a very annoying bug, on 7). Lots of older pgms dont/can't work on it either, and im running the 32bit, which is supposed to be better with compatability with older pgms.

Slowly starting to shift over to Linux though, but it still lacks some 'userfrienlyness'.