widening kits

89custom

May 27, 2008
GTA, Ontario
Ive been talking to paulie b about new front shocks and he suggested the yfz450 shocks and told me i need to grind the mounting bracket a bit.

great, but, i just found out from reading the shocks sticky that i would need the dimond j widening kit with shock conversion. i would get that, but would my rear end be really skinny? i would have to dish out 145 for the rear widening kit and 220 for the front plus the shocks, i found a pair of yfz450 fronts for 225. so just to get new front shocks, i would have to dish out 590 plus shipping for both.

is it worth it? like i mean, the widening kits are good but just to get these shocks it seems like the price is high.

do i have any other options for good replacement shocks for the front that dont involve all this? like the sticky says, bashee stock fronts are dirrect bolt ons but how much of an improvement are they?

note: i weigh like 210 and im going to be jumping this thing. will the dimond j widening kit even hold up? or is it only for trail riding. i dont ride my quad lightly.

edit: is this what im looking for?

eBay Motors: Yamaha Blaster 200 A-arms & Shocks Wid. Kit +4.5 or +6 (item 170050809601 end time Jun-08-08 14:40:02 PDT)

and rear
eBay Motors: Yamaha Blaster 2in 4x100mm Aluminum Rear Wheel Spacers (item 170036300729 end time Jun-25-08 16:52:14 PDT)

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the kit and it is very reliable, well worth the money, just put the cost of aftermarket aarms plus yfz shocks to the cost of the widening kit w shocks, and u will still save money, and banshee shocks are a pretty good improvement over the stock!

probably dumb posting the links to these shocks because im sure theres others looking for some. ill beat your kneecaps in whoever takes the shocks i want lol. i would just do a buy now on them.

new ones
eBay Motors: yfz450 **NEW** 06 front shocks yfz 450 raptor (item 280231727128 end time Jun-05-08 14:53:23 PDT)

used
06 Yamaha YFZ450 shocks yfz front **NO RESERVE** RAPTOR - (eBay.ca item 120266104786 end time 02-Jun-08 11:19:00 EDT)

$100 dollar difference but im not sure which i should go with. the used ones may be messed up. but idk 100 bucks doesnt seem like alot if i want to just get the new ones.

any ideas?

aright i got an ebay acount. i found these banshee shocks, but still, there probably not much of an improvement eh? but would 80 bucks plus shipping be worth the amount of performance improvement? they dont require anything extra right?

Yamaha Banshee ATV front shocks - not bent or blown - (eBay.ca item 360055785845 end time 01-Jun-08 21:30:02 EDT)
there lookin pretty good, if there a good improvement. remeber, 210lbs, jumps, hard riding. i would like them to be soft but not like bottoming out on jumps soft. these stupid stock blaster shocks are stiff as hell.

suposebly it doesnt fit without it. you need the shock conversion kits with the widening kit because it has a bracket to mount the uper eye of the shock

It will fit. You just have to compress them a lil to get into that upper mount. They will be stiff like this and your front will sit appox. 2 inches higher. The benefit of the widening kit is so they are spread more, and the extra leverage of the kit makes them softer. I say if you find a deal get them and run them until the get some cash for the widening kit or even better new arms. The crap you hear about the widening kits not good for jumping are blown out of proportion but still some what true. You will be stressing your ball joints and if one fails, well it wont be pretty.

See no bracket is needed to adapt the top mounts.

IM000075.jpg

IM000076.jpg

Nice!!! those pics explain everything.

so will they be really stiff without the widening kit? cuz i was going for pretty soft.

and about jumping with the widening kit, that was my asumption. anything like what that kit does makes sence that it wont be a strong, but like you said, its not as bad as one might think.

and about rear widening kit, if i got the +6 for the front, would it be weird riding/ look weird if i didnt get the +2 x2 rear spacers?

They will be stiff bro. Loosening the pre-load all the way helps.
The wide kit will make them better.
Yep it will look kinda funny being +6 up front with the stock width in back but I ran like that for a while and nobody laughed - untill I was gone :)

ok well ive decided im going to get the yfz450 front shocks and put them on. if i dont like how stiff they are, im going to just take em off and get me a dimond j +6 front widening kit with the +4 rear kit. and it should be sexy. but if i like how the front rides with the new shocks in there, im going to get me a back brake and wait a bit to get the widening kit. any idea how much a hydro back brakes guna run me? i really only need the lever, hydro cable, pads, and a rotar.