Whhhhhyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

I’m sure I’ll get some sh*t over this but here’s my take. You have an air cooled engine that’s revving between 7000 – 9000 RPM and moving about 5 MPH in 8” of snow. This is a recipe for disaster. Everyone that calls my shop thinks that we slow down in winter. The fact is we go balls out from November – March because of problems like this. Here’s the best advice I can give. Park the Blasters when the snow hits unless you can carry enough momentum / speed to cool the engine. I’m setting mine up for ice racing this year and taking the necessary precautions to keep the engine in one piece.

Welp, Wont be practicing until next winter hahaha... what would you guys recommend for around 400 and who should I go with... I've heard good and bad things about oconner, but dont really know of any other good shops... I live by Pittsburgh, PA.

I e never read anything bad about Ken O'Conner racing. I'm not saying it didn't happen but I've never seen it posted.

Reactions: DeJay126
I get what you're saying there big guy... but the fact of the matter is that they suck in the snow.. I have brand new tires and 8 inches of snow... it barely moved... maybe on a flat surface it would run alright... but how much fun is riding in a flat field

My nephew ride his in the snow all the time.Also my friend when he had his Blaster.I would ride with him on my lt250r.
We would ride from 2000 feet to 4,300 feet in a 2 inches up to 15 inches of snow.We were going up mountains with them.Just today i took the LT up the same trail with 8 inches up their today.Now if its real heavy wet snow it isnt going to go good.But dry powder snow it will go like a champ.

I’m sure I’ll get some sh*t over this but here’s my take. You have an air cooled engine that’s revving between 7000 – 9000 RPM and moving about 5 MPH in 8” of snow. This is a recipe for disaster. Everyone that calls my shop thinks that we slow down in winter. The fact is we go balls out from November – March because of problems like this. Here’s the best advice I can give. Park the Blasters when the snow hits unless you can carry enough momentum / speed to cool the engine. I’m setting mine up for ice racing this year and taking the necessary precautions to keep the engine in one piece.

I totally agree with Ken.You have to run more Rpms when your spinning to go up the hills in the snow.You motor is set up to have the amount air going over it with the speed your going to keep it cool.If your running 7000 rpms spinning in 3rd or 4 th gear and your only going 5 to 10 mphs it will not take long to overheat.I have this problems sometime on my lt250r spinning going up hills in the snow.Its water cooled and I spin for a awhile and not have the proper air for the rpm or speed.It will start to boil over.Then it is time to stop for awhile and let her cool down.I:I

Reactions: DeJay126
Okay, so just to update everybody on this... I took everything apart and found out it was the bottom end that locked up... not the piston melting... so i bought a new bottom end off of speeddemon17... i should have that here soon and i'll bolt her up and go... but in the meantime does anybody have any thoughts as to what could have happened in the bottom end for it to lock up? Read my first post to get the full details of what happened.... any help is appreicated.. thanks guys

So I decided today would be a good day to take the blaster out since it's been snowing a lot.... I get her all warmed up and set out on my voyage. I immediately notice that blasters aren't very good in 8 inches of snow.. but I push on. I start going up the hill behind my sisters house and have her in 2nd gear almost WOT... all of the sudden she loses power... I downshift to accommodate.. she picks back up a little... then all of the sudden BRRrrrr... she bogs down.. I try to kick start her and it's harder than usual... second kick is harder and i know somethings wrong... third kick she wont budge.... WTF?! Rebuild time is here... FML!

Not knowing if you premix or not I will jump on.

If you premix, not jetting for colder weather not only leans out the fuel in the mix but also starves the bottom end of oil.

If you are using a bean oil blend, it really does not like cold weather.

If you use oil injection, may I ask what oil you use.

Okay, so just to update everybody on this... I took everything apart and found out it was the bottom end that locked up... not the piston melting... so i bought a new bottom end off of speeddemon17... i should have that here soon and i'll bolt her up and go... but in the meantime does anybody have any thoughts as to what could have happened in the bottom end for it to lock up? Read my first post to get the full details of what happened.... any help is appreicated.. thanks guys

So you just bought a new bottom end without even opening yours up to check it out? lol

I do believe that taking everything apart would be the same as opening up.

Not knowing if you premix or not I will jump on.

If you premix, not jetting for colder weather not only leans out the fuel in the mix but also starves the bottom end of oil.

If you are using a bean oil blend, it really does not like cold weather.

If you use oil injection, may I ask what oil you use.

I use yamalube...

Also, I havent ripped the bottom end apart yet... I was planning on buying an engine sometime in the future so that I had a backup... so now I'm halfway there... just need a top end... I'll be working on the seized bottom end sometime soon... that's why I was asking if anybody had any suggestions as to what may have happend...

A few years back when i knew nothing about blasters i ran mine out of gear oil and locked the bottom end up LOL
Check the glass on the bottom left of the right side crankcase check the level