whats the difference between a rich bog and a lean bog?

98blaster+4

Oct 12, 2008
vermont
anybody have or know of a video that gives examples of lean bog and rich bog noises?
have been rejetting the blaster and the plug looks right but it wont rev out without a stutter(under load of me riding it) but revs clean at idle. went up from where im at just in case and it has more bog stutterness to it, but down just one main jet size and it rips like a mofo. but the plug doesnt seem to be up to spec color wise with the leaner size.
also i did a leak test and have no leaks.

whoa man.... you're getting ready to make his problems worse.

Lean in a hollow "BOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW" bog. Think hound dog or wolf howling... Anyone who's ever left the gas tank valve off has heard the lean bog....

Rich isn't so much of a bog, it's more of a stutter. It will hickup and sort of pop. The dead giveaway you're too rich is the fact that you dropped a main jet size and the problem go better...

thats what i was thinking but the plug color from the leaner size is too light for my preference,
and shadow i know there is a lean bog cause i wouldnt have read about it in the numerous jetting articles from this site.
so right now i am at a 165 main and a 50 pilot,
getting a 52/3 pilot tomorow to try and see how that goes.
the 168 was the last main i tried and had a bog that was like fluttery kinda.
the 170 just wont go, and the 160 doesnt like life at all,
with the 55 pilot it didnt wanna idle steadily without massive air screw adjustments, and with the pilot thats in there now doesnt wanna come down to idle as quickly as i think it should.
any ideas as to how to get the revs to come down better? needle clip position, pilot, or main ?

first off nick, what carb we talkin about here ????? and are you runnin a stroker crank ???? i forget your exact mods and set-up except the oconnor magic and dynoport pipe ???
and no fenders hahahaaaaaaa

adjust the pilot down, usually lower than you think to get it to idle and rev good, it's highly unusual to have a piston fry at idle to 1/4 throttle, theres enuf oil layin in the cases to cover that, unless of course you let it idle for an hour or ride that long times under 1/4 throttle where the needle starts kickin in < just my .02

i have never had any luck with the needle clip in any other position but the middle, on 3 different carbs and different levels of mods, 2nd and 4th clip down settings seem to be a sure sign a different needle is needed or the carb is too big/small for the mods

most 34pj's require a different needle to completely rev clean, i use a "dgh"
noobs and others have good luck with the "cel" needles

but definately start at the bottom with the float setting, it must be to exact spec for your carb, then get it to idle and rev clean with the pilot and airscrew under 2 turns out, then mids with the needle and lastly the main, as all the lower settings will effect the jetting range above it, so a main wot plug chop today, will read differently tomorrow if you then fool with the pilot or needle settings

and i have never, not even once got a plug porcelein to show me color even after a few wot runs, unless it is extremely rich that it will foul it after one run
you have to read the smoke ring down inside for an accurate wot plug read, either by cutting off the threads, or with a bright light and magnifying glass
after a few rides, you'll start to see color on the exposed porcelein, and can keep an eye on overall jetting health by pulling the plug and just looking at it

i know some of this is a repeat of what you've read time and time again, but sometimes different wording will help, if even only in one jetting range, that will free you up and have you on your way !!!!!

also just for reference, my 34 pj has been rippin good for almost 2 years now with... float at 16-18mm, 45 pilot, dgh needle, clip in the middle and a 155 main for summer, 162 for cooler months
similar oconnor porting as yours and the other mods in my sig

Sorry bout all the earlier posts. My little cousin hopped on and started using all his "blaster knowledge" to help some fellow blaster buds out lol.

First time he has done that and now he knows not too do it again.

Sorry bout all the earlier posts. My little cousin hopped on and started using all his "blaster knowledge" to help some fellow blaster buds out lol.

First time he has done that and now he knows not too do it again.

his posts in this thread were dead on

But that is completely backwards. Rich sputters, stutters, and spews splooge everywhere.

Lean is a total hollow bog.

correct, but most call any type of hesitation/sputter a bog, is what i was figurin, if it isnt runnin right it's boggin

Lean causes the power to cut out and sounds like "hollow drums" Imagine drumming with Tupperware lids. Example?..........watch this vid of me riding around in the yard. Later in the vid when I am in the yard and revving on and off the throttle at lower RPMs especially around 3:34, you can hear the "hollow drums" sound.....it hesitates and sounds off.

A rich condition causes slowness as well but will stutter/sputter. Try riding with the choke half or full out and this is an example of running rich.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya my younger cousin might be young but he loves learning about mechanical things and I'm glad to help him out. Thats why i told him about blasterforum. Plus he wants to get a blaster in a few years. I'm slowing spreading the blaster bug down here in texas lol.

anybody have or know of a video that gives examples of lean bog and rich bog noises?
have been rejetting the blaster and the plug looks right but it wont rev out without a stutter(under load of me riding it) but revs clean at idle. went up from where im at just in case and it has more bog stutterness to it, but down just one main jet size and it rips like a mofo. but the plug doesnt seem to be up to spec color wise with the leaner size.
also i did a leak test and have no leaks.

Start with the richer main and do a plug chop. Once you do that you have a baseline to work from and know where to go.

my 89 had the 'lean bog' when i got it... fmf no lid and a k&n 1-2-3rd gears it felt fine hit 4th-5-6th and it feel on its face,

as stated rich will hickup when you get onto the main jet or bog then clear out a little the higher the rpms go...

this is avid of my lt250r the FIRST wheely you can hear it stutter.. thats a rich stutter.. i am rich on the needle so it will break up in mid throttle

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for the confusion on which carb its a 28mm pwk
got it dialed in all but the revs hang for a second longer than i think normal should be.
awk i have the air screw at about 1.5 turns out, middle clip position , slide says 35 on it, and the needle is a jjh. all genuine keihin parts.
main is ta 165 and pilot is at 50. thinking i should get a 52/3 pilot to pull the evs down a little faster.

and my mods are a uni clamp on filter till it gets wet around here
a dyno port, kens magic, boysen reeds, and this new-to-me pwk 28
did an airleak test and passed as well as having the same compression i had when i first got her put back together last season at kens house