what jet to start with?

Yes, All sorts of bikes use Mikuni jets. They are a main large hex jet.. Any Atv, Motorcycle and most likely any small engine shop should have them.

Honda used keihin flat slide carbs. Not sure about older hondas or different models. The jets are different on the keihin carb though. Older snowmobiles used mikuni carbs. If you have a snowmobile shop near by, try them. Just take in your current jet for comparison and tell them what you need.

I found a shop that had a 270. These pics makes it look really open.

Attachments

• reed 1.jpg
    reed 1.jpg
    961.9 KB · Views: 158
  • reed 2.jpg
    reed 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
thats very typical of those dual petal reeds, especially when running them without the stock reed stops.
they include a little metal strip and suggest running that only, but thats job security on their part and designed to fail to keep you buying them again and again.
use the stock curved metal reed stops to get more life out of them, there's no need or advantage to allow them open further than the stock reed stops allow, and i've experienced high speed flutter without them where they can't close fast enuf and the bike bogs badly.
try flipping them as mentioned to get maybe another season out of them,
then check seasonally and replace as needed.

ps. thats the advantage of v-force reeds, only allowing each petal to open 1/2 the distance of a stock cage,
but using 4 petals instead of 2 allows better response by opening and closing quicker, plus double the petal tip area for more flow

Reactions: Jeff Bennett
Yes, All sorts of bikes use Mikuni jets. They are a main large hex jet.. Any Atv, Motorcycle and most likely any small engine shop should have them.

if i remember correctly, arctic cat runs mikuni carbs, same as the blaster. (90-04 cats)
at least i know our 97 jag had the carb as my blaster did.

Ok, Im leak testing and it wont even get to 2 pounds, the reed cage where the paper gasket is, is leaking bad at the top and bottom. I used soapy water on everything and that's the only leaks I could find so far. What should I do? RTV it?

Yup a smear of high temp copper RTV on the cage and boot may seal it.

Over tightening the bolts causes the reed cage and boot to warp creating a leak.

5.8 ft lbs, diagonally and incrementally( a little bit at a time)

Leave to dry overnight.

Thanks blaster, as many things that I have wrong, I wouldn't doubt it if the PO would have tightened them to 100ftlbs.