What I've Been Up to !

Status
Not open for further replies.

blasterBruce

May 13, 2008
Griffin Ga
Well As some Know , My Mazda Navajo- Ford Explorer Trans Lost All Forward Gears , So I Bought A 89 a4ld Bronco II trans for it , Knowing it is Slightly Weaker than the 91-94 A4ld trans , Well Some Problems came up , I had To Change The Shift Linkage , Also had to Use Adapters to Make the 91-94 Explorer trans fluid lines Fit the 89 Trans , Not to mention I have a Wiring Issue I need to Fix before I Can Finish the Install . I have a Bunch Of pic's Loading them Here Soon !

Transfer Case Dropped
DSCF6673.jpg

Cross Member Dropped
DSCF6678.jpg

Starting to Loosen the Bolts
DSCF6681.jpg

Torque converter Nuts , Have to turn the Motor over buy a Screwdriver to get to them
DSCF6682.jpg

Motor Has To be Supported On Bottom
DSCF6684.jpg

Motor Has to be Supported On Top As well
DSCF6686.jpg

Trans Is out
DSCF6698.jpg

Trans Is In With cooling Line adapters
DSCF6728.jpg

Supported by its Own Weight
DSCF6732.jpg

Another Look At the Cooler Line Adapter
DSCF6736.jpg

More Pics to come And More Progress as well , Weather Is taking a Crap on me today

I hate working outside wet! Good job so far. Do you just have to change wiring connectors or actually rewire the tranny plug?

good luck getting your ecu to recognize and control a single solenoid tranny instead of the OE 2 solenoid set-up

All I have to Do is Figure Which 2 Wires go the The single Solenoid , The 89 Trans does Not Need a Dual Solenoid setup As The 3-4 Up shift Is controlled Hydraulic , But Thanks For the Kind Words Fellas !

/\ thats been done before ?

that was alot of work by yourself !!

Yes , Anyone who Swapped in a 4.0 Into there Bronco II ran into issues with there B II trans , It has been Done before And There Is a Few custom builds with the 89-92-94 a4ld trans parts in one case .

I've heard of it before on the fullsize bronco forum! Looks like the exhaust was leaking also at the flange?

/\ thats been done before ?

that was alot of work by yourself !!

My uncle helped me Put the BII trans in , But I took the old one out Myself , I will do the Rest by myself more than likely , I added In a 2nd Stock Front Fluid cooler , and will be Adding a External Filter as well down the road

hope you change it more often than your oil, that filter looks antique, LOL

Haha , yeah well If its under the Mileage I'm not going to change it haha , this this has barley seen 3000 miles in the past 4 years , But yeah that Filter is about 5-6 years old , The oil Is black , but I do not have to add any due to it burning , It has a few leaks from me doing 2 trans swaps In a year , But after I get back on my feet this will get a good major tune up and Allot of Maintenance haha

Well My Navajo Moved under its own power , Still need to figure out the Wiring for the Tcc Lockup , But it goes into R-D , Still have stuff to do to it Before its Drivable , But Its Almost Ready for the Road Again !

Well I finally Figured out which wires Goes to the Bronco II trans Its a p/y Wire and Red 12v + , So I should be able to Drive it tomorrow If Everything goes to plan !

Well An Update , I Will not be able to Control overdrive on this Transmission as its a Early 88 Model a4ld , And It's not controlled by a pcm as my 93-94 model trans I had in it , But I will use the 3 Forward gears And Reverse Until It starts giving me Major issues , Then I will Replace with a Proper 93-94 Model Trans !

Status
Not open for further replies.