what is the purpose of the TORS? and does it have to be removed?

dirtrider604

Nov 14, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
i still have the tors system in my 01 blaster (but have the oil injection removal kit installed). so far i havent had any problems that i know of. but should it have to be removed? what are the benefits for having it? and what are the benefits for getting ride of it?

it's suppose to keep the throttle from hanging up or going full throttle. sometimes they malfunction, sometimes not. it's good a thing to take them off just to save headache later on. also, it gets rid of that stupid electronic box on the carb if you get tors delete carb cap.

The benefits of having it is that if the throttle sticks open the motor will shut down.

It is recomennded that it is removed as it can cause all kinds of grief.

You can either remove the lot, using a kit, or just unplug and leave the unit in place .

If you just unplug there are a few wires you have to cut and short.

If you get the complete kit you can jet without taking carb off. When they malfunction you basically are stranded as it will only idle. My sons malfunctioned in a light rain, throttle switch, had to stop and dry it several times. pre 03 jus unplug brain box, later years you also have two wires that must be connected.

If you get the complete kit you can jet without taking carb off. When they malfunction you basically are stranded as it will only idle. pre 03 jus unplug brain box, later years you also have two wires that must be connected.

X2 ^^^^^

Disabling the TORS eliminates the chance of it malfunctioning and leaving you stranded. Doing the replacement kit allows you to ditch that big hunk of metal on top of your carb.....which in turn allows you to re-jet without removing the carb because the carb will be able to twist so you have access to the bowl.

My suggestion: disable the TORS immediately by unplugging it and then get the delete kit when you have the time & $ (it's cheap....like $30).

Good luck!