what carb to get??

Quadrider10

Dec 18, 2011
New Jersey
www.youtube.com
i was thinking about gettin a new carbb fpor ttwo reasons. 1 more power, and 2 to remove the tors complety with out drilling holes in stock one. i was wondering what carb would be good for MX. i was looking for it to be realitivly cheap, and maybe bigger?

my engine mods are:

stock pipe
fmf powercore 2 scilencer
uni air filter
bbored .30

and also 400ex shock (idk if this might matter, but i thought it might get in the way)

What are your plans for the near future? The reason I ask is, with a stock headpipe and stock porting going with a larger carburetor could actually lose you a little bit of bottom end without gaining any top end. Really, unless you plan on upgrading the rest of the engine in the very near future, just go with the TORS delete kit.

The stock VM26 carburetor isn't a terrible unit (with the TORS deleted that is) and can run nicely on a relatively mild blaster. I do recommend the TORS delete kit, it makes jetting changes SOOOOOO much easier because without the TORS box on top of the carburetor, you can loosen the two clamps holding the carb in and rotate it in place to where the float bowl can be removed and jetting changed.

i was planning on getting the fmf fatty pipe, but not for a while....

Just do the TORS delete. The process is fairly straight forward.

Using a flat file you take off the idle screw boss until it's flat. You then drill through the body using the supplied drill bit (if you buy the right kit) and then tap out the hole using the supplied tap.

The only things to watch out for are that you drill and tap on the left side of the carburetor (the right side LOOKS like it might already be drilled and tapped but that's the wrong side for the stock carburetor slide) and take your time cleaning after drilling and tapping to remove any metal that got inside the carburetor.

Man really no point fmf jetting is usually around 280-290 in a stock carb... A bigger carb on a stock moter as si said your going lose a little bit of bottem...

Stick with the stock carb and do a TORS removal.

When you get the FMF re jet and the stock carb will surprize you.

With a stock motor a +4 deg advance will wake up the low/mids somewhat.

For MX I run a 12 tooth front sprocket 40 rear and 18" tyres, really gets up and gets going, keeps with the bigger 4 pokes.

speaking of rejetting, im putting in a 400ex shock, and might have to bend or cut the airbox. will i have to rejet if i do that?

You will not have to bend or cut the airbox any great amount to install a 400ex shock. You may have to remove the airbox lid in which you should think about rejetting. I'm not sure what you would need to jet to using a stock pipe, I would imagine somewhere around a 250 or 260. Using an aftermarket headpipe you would need to go to about a 300 mainjet.

heres what fmf said.

Main Jet
Pilot Jet
Needle
STOCK
Needle Position
3RD
Power Jet
N/A
Air Screw
Fuel Screw
N/A
Comments
Remove airbox lid snorkel

32:1 fuel to oil mixing ratio of a 50/50 mix of race fuel and super unleaded, 0 - 1500 ft altitude at 70 degrees outside temperature. and i think they just kept the airbox lid on

If you are looking at MX, put a foam filter right on the carby throat and jet accordingly, doing a plug chop to see if you got it right.

Prolly looking at a 270 to 280.

A filter on the throat really makes a great difference in breathing.

i just bought the carb parts warehouse 30mm oko carb. I am very impressed i tol,d them my exact mods they jetted carb and i put on kick 5 times and it started up adjusted idle and seems good enought for me.Very happy with carb parts warehouse carb for $129 with new cable and extra jet.