welding swing arm

I can't answer your question but there was a swing arm on eBay for 20 dollars may still be there, in case you can't fix it. I almost bought it for a spare but decided not to.

="pudvah, post: 778873, member: 22398"]I can't answer your question but there was a swing arm on eBay for 20 dollars may still be there, in case you can't fix it. I almost bought it for a spare but decided not to.[/QUOTE]
Thanks man

Its under the shock mount on the bottom side of the cross member

Attachments

• 20150815_190558.jpg
    20150815_190558.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 527
I had mine welded up and powder coated. My swing arm looked like it had water in it and it froze and cracked it

QUOTE="Herpderplol, post: 778928, member: 17603"]picture of crack i meant. that will determine if it is safe to weld[/QUOTE]
picture of crack i meant. that will determine if it is safe to weld
Is this a bad crack? Can I weld?

Attachments

• 20150827_173759.jpg
    20150827_173759.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 470
  • 20150827_173807.jpg
    20150827_173807.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 449
Is that a bad place for it to be cracked? Will it snap Bellow the shock?

at the shock mount is the worse place for a crack, as it is where the shock, and all the weight of you and the bike is supported.
again....just buy a new/used one from here or on ebay, get the nicest, newest, cleanest looking one you can find.

Reactions: OConnor Racing
Is it possible to extend the swing arm by welding. Not sure on what material is used for these swing arms I would imagine a medium carbon steel possibly 0.25% anyone have any knowledge on this

I appreciate your concern.although Iam very confident with my welding skills. The swing arm has a number of stress points so would be a tricky job but if the material was matched cut and welded in correctly I would have every faith it would hold up.

I appreciate your concern.although Iam very confident with my welding skills. The swing arm has a number of stress points so would be a tricky job but if the material was matched cut and welded in correctly I would have every faith it would hold up.

the problem isn't your welding skills, the problem is the original swingarm is made of stamped sheet metal and barely holds up to hard abuse/jumping in it's stock form.
extending it multiplies the massive forces applied that thin sheet metal beyond it's intended use, design, and capabilities.
add in the heat stress welding to that sheet metal causes, and it's a proven recipe for disaster.
good luck....you'll need it

Yeah I get what you mean. The thing I hate most about this site is that everyone always steps right over you or jumps down your throat. It was only a question guys

I have welded 4mm bar with 1.15% carbon that had a tensile strength of over 30kn of force that's a hell of a lot of force bearing in mind this is a higher percentage of carbon. The material was normalized ie welding the material letting it cool then heating up the whole piece again within the normalized range temp around 900K. Also the yield point of this material was high to if you don't get what I mean :) the point before the material is permanently deformed ie the elastic region of the material this is a lot of play for the material to bend etc when riding rough terrain. Now Iam not saying it would hold doing 20ft jumps due to the quality of the material used by Yamaha but Iam more than positive it would hold for the riding I do trails etc.
:)

Yeah I get what you mean. The thing I hate most about this site is that everyone always steps right over you or jumps down your throat. It was only a question guys

I actually think Kens response was to the original poster of this thread 808blaster
which talking about "stepping over" you stepped into the middle of someone elses thread, and may have misunderstood who he was actually replying too ?

my "good luck" and sharing my experience with extended stock swingarms was definately in reply to your "welding skills" post.
sorry if those FACTS bunched your panties :(

but again......these swingers are made out of Kia Sonata fender thickness steel,
if you trust welding that thin of sheet metal together without heat stressing it, or don't understand the added leverage forces extending it produces, and your health/life insurance are paid up to date.....
please start your own thread on extending your stock swingarm, I'll be glad to silently follow along instead of answering your questions with proven FACTS you don't want to hear.

:) good luck

jpxw29.jpg

Is this not what this page is for stepping into other people threads and asking questions. For a start that swing arm is clearly rusted to hell inside and out. and I doubt that is where it was extended from. this is impurites in the metal causing failure. As for that comment being a staff member technician etc I think it's a shocking way to talk to your followers remember this is a page for all blaster lovers not to hate and talk smash about each other's skills it's so childish

Reactions: crash and jvb