WD 40 the pros and cons.

Blaaster

Staff member
Technician
Jul 18, 2011
eastern australia
If you have an object needing re-lubrication, check to see what sort it presently has before using WD-40. The reason? If the joint or metal part in question is presently lubricated with grease of any sort (white lithium, axle, copper, etc.) then you may be shooting yourself in the foot by using WD-40 because the latter cuts grease. Spraying a greased joint with WD-40 may make things worse very quickly as the remaining design lubricant is cut away by the spray.

Last edited by a moderator:
So from personal experience... if you ever need to lubricate something, never use WD-40. It not a lubricant and actually has the opposite affect (as Blaaster said)!

If you want to stop rust or loosen stuck parts (especially if they are rusted together), WD-40 is your thing.

One of the worse things I have even done with a WD-40 is once spray a door hinge that was squeaking. I eventually had to get rid of the hinge because it started to collect tons of dirt from the dust in the air and made it much worse then before.

Reactions: amartin_72
Back in my teens when we use to skateboard with friends we would lube our bearings with WD40 cause we didn't know any better and then wondered why they failed so quick when we thought we were taking care of them.

It is good though for cleaning. I have cleaned bearings and greasy parts with it better then simple green. But it's not a good lubricant

pros:

a quick spray on a jigsaw blade has it gliding thru .190 thick 6061 aluminum plate.
i've tripled the life of my blades with a quick spray before every cutting session, and i cut alot !
when binding starts, another quick shot has it again ripping thru one of the hardest metals there is to cut,
teeth clogging, blade binding aluminum.
wd-40 keeps the aluminum from sticking to the blade and makes cutting it a breeze ....real world experience !

it also makes one helluva cable cleaner/lube, which really require more cleaning than lubing.
steel cable in a teflon sleeve is naturally slippery, keep it clean and lightly lubed with wd-40 for years of bind free service. it also repels any water that has, or will infiltrate your cables.
real world experience !

it also works great on A-arm heim joints, also a steel ball encased in teflon,
WD-40 is the recommended cleaner/light lubricant by probably the worlds leader in aftermarket ATV A-arms....
American Star Racing.
been using it as prescribed before every ride for 4 seasons now, and they were used when i bought them. yet show zero signs of any wear yet.
real world experience......WD-40 works awesome on heim joints !

cons:

for rusted/stuck parts, there are far superior products that actually contain a light acid to eat through rust and gall.
do not expect much from wd-40.
Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster are far superior, real world experience !

it is not a lubricant for long term lubrication of any metal to metal parts,
nor would i ever suggest it be,
it will also deteriorate plastic. and remove some paints.

one of my moms old freinds used to spray it on her bum knee, claimed it relieved the effects of arthritis ?
i believe she got this idea from the equestrian world ?
i would assume it played hell on her liver and kidneys though, and I would not recommend it for that use.

well, you all lured me into finally checking out and readin up on the "infamous" wd-40,
it's formulation, suggested uses, function, ect.
here's what i found, on the wd-40 website, and wikipedia....it can't be wrong, i read it on the internet, LOL

wd-40 Function:

The long-term active ingredient is a non-
volatile, viscous oil which remains on the

surface, providing lubrication and protection
from moisture, This is diluted with a volatile
hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid
which can be sprayed and thus penetrate
crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then
evaporates,
leaving the oil behind. A
propellant (originally a low-molecular weight
hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas
pressure in the can to force the liquid
through the spray nozzle, then evaporates
away.

These properties make the product useful in
both home and commercial fields; removing dirt
and residue, and extricating stuck screws and
bolts are common usages, and it also loosens
stubborn zippers. The product also may be
useful in displacing moisture, as this is its
original purpose and design intent.

Due to its lightness (i.e., low viscosity),
WD-40 is not always the preferred oil for

certain applications. Applications that
require higher viscosity oils may use motor
oils, while those requiring a mid-range oil
could use honing oil.

Formulation:

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product was not patented in 1953 to avoid disclosing the details of its composition; the window of opportunity for patenting the product has long since closed.
WD-40's main ingredients as supplied in aerosol cans, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50% "aliphatic hydrocarbons". The manufacturer's website specifically claims that this fraction in the current formulation cannot be accurately referred to as Stoddard solvent, a similar mixture of hydrocarbons.[8]

25% petroleum base oil, presumably a mineral oil or light lubricating oil.

12-18% low vapor pressure aliphatic hydrocarbon, to reduce the viscosity for use in aerosols. This fraction evaporates during application.

2-3% carbon dioxide, presumably as a propellant, is now used instead of liquefied petroleum gas to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability.

10% inert ingredients.
Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard012.jpg

Clipboard013.jpg

not sure what anyone else reads, but i most certainly see it listed as a light, and even a strong lubricant !

link to "2000 uses for wd-40" someone care to count how many times it says "lubricant "
http://wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf

It polishes Stainless steel better than any stainless steel cleaner ever and keeps fingerprints at bay. makes it slippery as all hell too.

Also makes a fun rainy day entertainment. spray some on a linoleum floor and grab a cat and a laser pointer.

Reactions: Awk08
If you have ever honed or bored a cylinder it must be washed with soap and water when done . The problem is it will almost rust instantly , just spray it with WD 40 . The WD 40 film on the bore will protect it. I used it to build 2 cycle Kart motors over the winter that would be not be used for 6 months, no rust.

Reactions: Awk08