warped head?

bagds10

Mar 30, 2010
az
i had a leaky head so i pulled it apart, put a new gasket in and torqued them to specs, and still leaky. so i pulled it back apart, put some gasket seal and torqued it, went riding still leaking. i was wondering if i could have a warped head? if so how could this happen?

Yes you could possibly have a warped head.
It happens from heat or over torqued bolts, even torquing the bolts one at a time instead of a cross pattern in stages.
Get yourself some 400-600 grit sandpaper and duct tape it to a FLAT table or workbench.
Plate glass or a piece of granite is best.
Add a lil oil to the paper and sand your head on it in a figure 8 pattern.
Take care in keeping even pressure on the head and not lifting it.
Just do a few revolutions first and check it.
You should see immediately if it's warped or not by the sanding marks only being in a few spots and not over the whole sealing surface.
Keep doin it until you see the marks over it all.

Reactions: bagds10
hmmmm, a diy head revival, give it a try, if not, ken oconnor just had some redesigned heads for sale/trade

its that easy huh? well shoot i think that reply should be stickied or something. i will deffinately give it a try when i get a chance. and i know ken has some but i dont have money to buy things. i just recently sold a complete motor with top end and im kicking myself. and i torqued them all like a car tire. maybe the guy before that installed the 240 kit, but what does the oil do?

its that easy huh? well shoot i think that reply should be stickied or something. i will deffinately give it a try when i get a chance. and i know ken has some but i dont have money to buy things. i just recently sold a complete motor with top end and im kicking myself. and i torqued them all like a car tire. maybe the guy before that installed the 240 kit, but what does the oil do?

The oil keeps the sandpaper from getting clogged up with the aluminum your sanding off.
The process is called 'lapping'.

The oil keeps the sandpaper from getting clogged up with the aluminum your sanding off.
The process is called 'lapping'.

man i hate lapping! our teacher had us lapping valves with the good ole plunger. we had a 16 valve head. after about 1 1/2 days our teacher pulls out this handy dandy cordless drill. puts it on the valve puts some lapping compound on the valve then seats the valve and goes to town for about 20 secs! we had only done about 6 done working 3 hrs a day when he showed us that! the worst part was that we had to continue using the plunger to finish know it only takes a few seconds with a drill! luckly we had a guy named juan in our group ;) lol

sorry for the totally random post lol

is your head in good condition? if i dont get yours from you ill probably just try that sandpaper method. thanks for all the input guys

FWIW: Lapping's a simple process anyone can do and even Otis can afford it :) I lap the head everytime I take it off just to check it for flatness. I also lap the top of the jug and any flat mating surfaces that need to seal. As PaulieB says, you just need a truly flat surface. My technique is sloppy but I'm old & lazy....burp!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bagds10
awesome otis. thanks again guys. when i get back from the lake this weekend i will deffinately do that. rep points given