Vito's Jet Kit, no good?

jostith

Mar 17, 2010
Bedford, IN
I bought the Vito's jet kit from the fella on here. It was only 20 bucks so it really wasn't a loss but still didn't seem to be a great buy. It came with a new needle which was great over stock, imagine the new shape will be better. The jets included are 290 all the way to 340 or 350 which is massive in my oppinion. The pilot jet (only one included) is only 30... which is smaller, just throwing that out there. Now when you rejet for a new exhaust system, filter, etc. you generally want to go higher on the pilot right?

I'm ordering some parts off of rocky mountain ATV and was thinking about moving to a 37.5 pilot or maybe a 40. I've got an FMF gold exhaust and an FMF silencer (not sure what kind, need to identify it, the sticker came off with the previous owner), and a K and N filter. I'm really new to jetting and doing my best, but those don't seem real good to me. Right now the bike has a 300 in it and the clip is on the 2nd leanest setting and the pilot is at 30. It seems to be running rich because it is really really really smoking (haven't pulled the plug because I have no idea what plug chops are) and it bogs down in 1/4 to 3/4 throttle and at lower rpms. I don't ride it harder at the high rpms so I need something with decent throttle at the lower rpms. Tell me if I ought to jet it differently if anyone knows. Thinking about moving to a 280 main, 37.5 pilot, and the clip where it is.

I am in no way at all saying Kennedy Power Sports sold me a faulty, or dysfunctional product. In fact quite the opposite, he had excellent customer service, inexpensive prices, and just a nice guy so I recommend him for anyone that need something and he has it. Fast shipping too, it was also included in the price of 20 dollars for a new needle, gasket, clip, pilot and 5 or 6 main jets. This kit is great for heavily modded bikes and the extra jets will be super handy when I upgrade to new reeds and all that. Just not sure about the pilot jet as I don't know if it ought to be larger than stock or smaller.

Thanks for reading.

well, you should leave the stock pilot in it and try like a 260ish main. mine was a little on the rich side with a 280. i'd get a 280, 270 and 260. thats where most guys with similar mods end up. its also what FMF recommends right on their website

My vito's jet kit works good it may be a little rich but not fouling plugs at all and i used the pilot jet did not notice if it was smaller at the time but i did jump to a 290 main jet after i made small mods like pipe and filter reeds.

Alright, and Jay do think a larger pilot would be good? What setting are you using for the needle? I'm gonna do exactly as you mentioned Brandoz, gonna get 260, 270, and 280. Well I might not get the 260. Easy as heck to lose, so I shouldn't really get a ton. If I need it I will just use that as an excuse to buy more from Rocky Mountain, haha.

My needle is set 3 up.in the winter i run it at 4 up for more fuel and i keep an eye on the temp of the motor.O-i do not remember what my pilot jet was from vito's but i do think you should leave it the way it is.

There are 5 notches on the needle the top will be considered 1 and the bottom will be considered 5. 1 is the leanest and 5 is the richest. I have it set at 2 right now. It is bogging down so I believe it needs to have it a little more lean. I suppose that I will leave the 30 pilot jet in or maybe go with the stock 32.5. I'll put in the 290 as we'll and see what that does. Think I will make it a little more lean as well. As in move the clip to 1. But not sure. I'll give it a shot when I go home for the summer and let you guys know how it does. Not until the 7th but I am ordering parts right now. I'll order a 35 pilot to be safe, and a 270, and 280 main.

There are 5 notches on the needle the top will be considered 1 and the bottom will be considered 5. 1 is the leanest and 5 is the richest. I have it set at 2 right now. It is bogging down so I believe it needs to have it a little more lean. I suppose that I will leave the 30 pilot jet in or maybe go with the stock 32.5. I'll put in the 290 as we'll and see what that does. Think I will make it a little more lean as well. As in move the clip to 1. But not sure. I'll give it a shot when I go home for the summer and let you guys know how it does. Not until the 7th but I am ordering parts right now. I'll order a 35 pilot to be safe, and a 270, and 280 main.

aight good....you made it sound like you were moving the needle UP a clip for winter

No not putting it up for winter, putting it up for summer. Then move it to richer for winter. I'm going to leave the needle where it is and change the jet to 270 and the pilot to a 35.

OK. what ever...just tried to help.Never had a prob with my blaster jetting runs great.

right, i thought you were talking about moving the clip from 3 to 2, not 2 to 3

I would say my tuning is off from up an down,sorry i put it messed up calibrated way but my 2 stroke have been running good for 18 years.

Guys relax, jetting is not an exact science. I think that moving the clip in the winter is probably a really good idea. I am going to do what he said. That said I am also going to change the pilot jet from the vito's kit because I don't really understand why they went smaller. Regardless in the winter we all agree that the engine needs more fuel. So no worries guys, you both are going to get rep.

i know, i was just making sure that he wasn't changing the needle to be LEANER in the winter. just a little mix up. sounds like you've got a handle on it though man

I wish i could relate to you guys talking about 260 and 300 jets.. Dont get me wrong, my blaster runs a tad (really just a tad) rich and rips pretty much everywhere in revs.. But im running an FMF needle i got in a kit, its in the middle position, and a 460 main jet...