vitos 3+ and piston

YFS101

Feb 9, 2011
Fort Erie Ontario
What piston is everyone using with the vitos 3mm stroker crank ?

I just bought a blaster that needs a complete engine rebuild. I was thinkin of running the Vitos stroker 3mm crank and the vitos superstock piston.

I emailed Vitos for answers days ago but never got any reply.

Im just curious if this its a good set up or does the stroker crank require a regular piston

the +3 crank requires no special piston, any will work,
if the superstock is the one with the pie cut exhaust side ? pass on that

Any piston you care to buy will serve you well,although I am not in favour withe the Vitos piston which is cut to simulate a raised port.

Look after it with regular maintainence and it will give many hours of service!

Thanks for the replys.

I dont mind going with the starndard wiseco . I know the vitos cut piston is made by wiseco as well. Just wasn't sure how well it works with the stroker kit /spacer plate

I like the idea of the cut out for two reasons
#1 simulates mild porting
#2 the piston is level or below the exhaust port at bdc getting it out of the heated gasses

Im not opposed to porting the cylinder, but i haven't decided if im keeping the quad or not but if the superstock piston adds hp and keeps compression up it might be a cheap fast solution to rebuilding this engine

Reactions: MURPH
With the 3mil you have to put the crank in one case half and put the cyl and piston on (no clips or rings for this) and check clearance between rod and case during comeplete stroke. Min of .020", I went .040". Have to be very careful not to get shavings in any bearings IF you have to clearance cases.

Nothing wrong with the SS piston, everyone has opinions. Used one on a flipper because I get a deal on Vito's parts :cool:. With stock pipe had lots of low end punch, but stock pipe signs off way to early. If you do any porting don't raise ex, though you can widen it.

With the 3mil you have to put the crank in one case half and put the cyl and piston on (no clips or rings for this) and check clearance between rod and case during comeplete stroke. Min of .020", I went .040". Have to be very careful not to get shavings in any bearings IF you have to clearance cases.

Nothing wrong with the SS piston, everyone has opinions. Used one on a flipper because I get a deal on Vito's parts :cool:. With stock pipe had lots of low end punch, but stock pipe signs off way to early. If you do any porting don't raise ex, though you can widen it.

I'll throw out another thing to think about. On a rare occasion, just checking the clearance with one half of the case and putting the cylinder on may not tell you if you clear.

On my build, I put in my +3 and checked the clearance with the one half of the case and the top end put on and it rolled free all the way thru. Sent it to KOR for a port and head mod and he told me it was catching on the front side. Only thing I can think is that the other half of the case wasn't clearing or Ken lied to me but I think we all know Ken isn't a scammer especially since he has done numerous "donation" type jobs for people.

Reactions: OConnor Racing
Guess I could have been a little more specific. :oops:

I marked the case next to rod with sharpie for width. Then put cases together so both sides were relieved equal amount. Then checked total clearance.

That's the thing with modification engineering, check, check, and check it again. It's all on you.

I had an engine that I swapped a case half that the trans bound up when the screws were torqued up. Pulled my hair out on that one. Ended up being the right side output shaft bearing was in a hair deeper. Obviously worked on the motor I took it off of.

Do you guys know if a Vito's 3mil stroker can be rebuilt? I'm pretty sure I have one in my blaster but I'm not sure if it'll work. If the crank needs to be rebuilt will it still give good compression?

Do you guys know if a Vito's 3mil stroker can be rebuilt? I'm pretty sure I have one in my blaster but I'm not sure if it'll work. If the crank needs to be rebuilt will it still give good compression?
Yes a bad crank will give good compression, if it turns over.

Why dont you create a new thread and we can help dial in your problem

The Vito's crank can require grinding of the cases on some (most) occasions. Putting the crank in one side of the case isn't going to tell you much. It's not on center of both sides and will have a ton of play. You're going to find yourself pulling the crank again and possibly pulling new bearings off of the crank. The best plan (what we do here) is to simply grind clearance into the top corners of both cases. Do this before you install the main bearings so you don't contaminate them with chips. Toss a clean rag in the transmission side of the cases for the same reason. You need to grind to the same width of thrust washer on each side of the case. Trenching isn't required so stay out of the crankcase. Let me know if you need a vid. On another note, Vito's crankshafts can be rebuilt but your shop needs to know what they're doing. Most shops press cranks apart. This will destroy a Vitos crank. You can't push on the plastic stuffers and you don't want to press the pin into both webs. The solution is to cut the rod, bearing, and pin in half at its centerline. We do all of our cranks like this. Once the two webs are apart, the pins can be pressed out of each web without distorting the webs or plastic stuffers. MAKE SURE YOU USE A VITOS ROD when you assemble the crankshaft. That's how they get away with not trenching the cases. The big end of the rod is smaller in diameter. Hope this helps.

The Vito's crank can require grinding of the cases on some (most) occasions. Putting the crank in one side of the case isn't going to tell you much. It's not on center of both sides and will have a ton of play. You're going to find yourself pulling the crank again and possibly pulling new bearings off of the crank. The best plan (what we do here) is to simply grind clearance into the top corners of both cases. Do this before you install the main bearings so you don't contaminate them with chips. Toss a clean rag in the transmission side of the cases for the same reason. You need to grind to the same width of thrust washer on each side of the case. Trenching isn't required so stay out of the crankcase. Let me know if you need a vid. On another note, Vito's crankshafts can be rebuilt but your shop needs to know what they're doing. Most shops press cranks apart. This will destroy a Vitos crank. You can't push on the plastic stuffers and you don't want to press the pin into both webs. The solution is to cut the rod, bearing, and pin in half at its centerline. We do all of our cranks like this. Once the two webs are apart, the pins can be pressed out of each web without distorting the webs or plastic stuffers. MAKE SURE YOU USE A VITOS ROD when you assemble the crankshaft. That's how they get away with not trenching the cases. The big end of the rod is smaller in diameter. Hope this helps.
Yes this does help. Could you send me a link to the video, I'm more of a visual person. Also does a shop have to rebuild the crank or could I do it? I think I am capable of splitting the webs but isn't there a lot of alignment to do? Thanks again