Very boggy after rebuild

Jul 13, 2011
I picked up an 88 blaster in nice shape for cheap several months ago. I replaced the transmission, did all all new seals and gaskets. Had the cylinder bored and a 67mm vitto's super stock piston dropped in. Got it all back together and tried to fire her up and I got nothing. Did some diagnosing and I had a bad coil, probably original. I swapped an 02 coil onto it and it finally started after many kicks. It acted like the piston was in backwards. It won't rev up quick and won't get up in the higher r's. I've cleaned the carb. I've checked the stator and pickup. I pulled the reeds and took a look at the piston and its installed correctly. I'm scratching my head now. It ran fine before the rebuild, just had no 2nd gear. Any thoughts?

comp test ?
leak test?
tors deleted?
it getting free flowing gas?
airscrew setting?
you did not put any rtv on base/head gasket as before?:D

Compression is 140. gas is flowing fine. Air mixture screw at 2 turns out. Haven't run a leak test. Gaskets installed dry. When I got it running if I sprayed starting fluid into the carb it would kill the engine. It's it had an bad air leak the engine would rev but that's not the case

When I got it running if I sprayed starting fluid into the carb it would kill the engine
It's it had an bad air leak the engine would rev but that's not the case

thats not true at all, you may get some rpm increase if sprayed around the gaskets and intake if a leak was present, but not as you sprayed it into the carb.

there's a reason for the leakdown tester build DIY thread, and i sale them....they are the only way, not spraying anything around hoping it reveals the leak, only a tester and soapy water can do that.

do you have a stock stator
or adjustable?
if you had entire engine apart maybe the timing is off
or more electrical issues.
140psi gas/air spark at the right time ect :)it should kaboom.