various overpriced "lock washers"

blasterd

Mar 29, 2008
Northwest Pennsylvania
I have quickly realized that Yamaha is probably getting rich on lock washers alone considering I have yet to be able to save one and the selling price is straight out REDICULOUS considering they are punching them out for literally a few cents each. I know there has to be a mark-up, but I refuse to pay $7.00 + $2.00 shipping for ONE lock washer for the balance shaft nut so I am hoping someone has figured out another way to 'secure' the nuts? How about Loctite and a regular flat washer? I already got bent over by spending over $16.00 for 4 clutch lock washers(2.xx a piece plus $5.95 shipping). I ordered 4 because I don't want to wait 7+ days for a piece of sheet metal if I need another :(

Realistically, the washer is there "just in case" I am guessing so hopefully since it didn't come loose before a little red or blue Loctite and a regular flat washer will work.
Has anyone done this before and had good results? I can't be the only one who is bothered by the price/waiting on snail mail because you don't have a Yamaha shop local.......and it would be closed anyways since it is a holiday............

That does suck. Do you have a local shop or something that can order you the parts, so you don't have to pay shipping?

Fortunately MOST of the time :) but unfortunately in THIS case :( I live in a rural area and the closest dealer is over 20 miles away (today is the 4th of July=closed) so I am hoping someone has found a way around having to use these overpriced tab washers.

Fortunately MOST of the time :) but unfortunately in THIS case :( I live in a rural area and the closest dealer is over 20 miles away (today is the 4th of July=closed) so I am hoping someone has found a way around having to use these overpriced tab washers.
I see. To bad you couldn't make them.

The reason a lock tab washer is used is because it is in a place of vibration therefore is prone to breaking loose.

If you use Loctite there it will confuse the tension settings.

They are easily made from a slab of sheet mild steel, it is not rocket science.

The reason a lock tab washer is used is because it is in a place of vibration therefore is prone to breaking loose.

If you use Loctite there it will confuse the tension settings.

They are easily made from a slab of sheet mild steel, it is not rocket science.

I cleaned the threads up real good with brake clean and went with red Loctite. I am going to let it sit overnight and put everything back together tomorrow and hope for the best. I realize this isn't a factory process and maybe it will come back to haunt me later but live and learn I guess. As far as the comment on it not being "rocket science" I must admit that perhaps I am completely out of my element when it comes to a Yamaha Blaster, but I am not exactly stupid when it come to basic mechanics in general. I have made things work plenty of times in my life but sometimes people may act a little timid when they are unfamiliar with the reasons WHY a factory does things they do and the types of materials they use(is the material Yamaha uses actually different than "mild steel" since they price it like gold?). I am going to assume that since the nut hasn't had to count on the locking tab washer to this point in 23+ years, that it will be OK for the next year or two as long as the nut is tightened securely and Loctite is used. I also know what happens when one assumes things as well though......

Last edited: