Unknown Leak

2006 blaster

Feb 11, 2012
Mayville, ND
Hi, I was driving my blaster yesterday when it started to smoke/smell like burning oil. I stopped it to see were it was coming from. There was oil all over the exhaust pipe, steering post, and frame. It came from the vent tube for the tranny. I have been looking around and everyone says it happens when you overfill the clutches/case. I used 10w-30 and put in 0.70 of a quart just like the manual said. I drained my oil and there was about half of a quart in the oil pan. The wheeler was very hot as I had been running it pretty hard for about 6 hours. So my question is why is it spitting out oil that is supposed to be in there? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
I had the same problem before, after i installed my new clutch

It says 650cm^3 (cubic cm) But everytime i went down the sand pit, a little came out the overflow hose... So im running a little low... I doubt it hurts it much, I have never seen anyone put this problem up, so im curious to what the smart guys say I:I

Re: Re: Unknown Leak

I had the same problem before, after i installed my new clutch

It says 650cm^3 (cubic cm) But everytime i went down the sand pit, a little came out the overflow hose... So im running a little low... I doubt it hurts it much, I have never seen anyone put this problem up, so im curious to what the smart guys say I:I

Blaaster? Lol....

Overfilling, overheating, leaky crancase or a leaky crankshaft seal will cause oil to migrate up the breather.

Overfilling, overheating, leaky crancase or a leaky crankshaft seal will cause oil to migrate up the breather.

part 2.....

time for a leakdown test to check that right side crank seal and the cases

The only dumb question is the one unasked!

14mqc1y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
just a simple idea... there are two drain plugs... one for the clutch case and one for the trans.. one on the side and the bottom.. if you only drain the bottom you are overfilling.

what ?
there is only one drain plug, located on the bottom of the engine

dunno them by year.. but mine's a 92, and you can drain the clutch case and trans case independantly. and i do appologize.. I had my numbers wrong.. .7 shouldnt overfill if u only drain the bottom plug... its more approximately 1.2-1.4 if you drain both. i usually drain both, fill it past the window, run it a minute, then top it off to the full area of the window. sorry!!!

the plug under the sprocket. i usually get about an extra half a quart out when i change the oil.. the auto mechanic in me likes to get as much oil as possible out when i change it. I'll lean the whole quad on two wheels draining it out lol.

the plug under the sprocket. i usually get about an extra half a quart out when i change the oil.. the auto mechanic in me likes to get as much oil as possible out when i change it. I'll lean the whole quad on two wheels draining it out lol.

ok, that plug, i misunderstood when you said "drain the clutch case" as if there were a drain on it.
help me understand.......if the bottom drain plug is the lowest point in an oil sharing trans/clutch, how a drain higher up the cases drains any extra oil that the lowest drain doesn't ???

i've also had 3 engines completly rebuilt and returned to me dry, as in zero oil ever added to the trans, none of them took more than a quart to put my oil level to the top line of the fill window.
it did indeed actually take more than the 650 ml. suggested to fill a completly dry trans. but definately not the whole quart/100 ml.

possible you're overfilling it to begin with ?

I am not using the correct oil either. I am using motor oil. Haven't had a chance to get Yamalube at a dealer yet. Maybe he oil is too thin? Causing it to run up the vent tube.

Just put in a new(to me) engine and it was dry for shipping reasons. So I put in 0.7 of a quart and drove it. Never bothered till this weekend.

What is a leak down test sorry maybe a dumb question

A leak test is where you plug the carb boot and exhaust port and pressurize the engine to 7lbs MAX. If it holds 7lbs for 7 minutes you have a perfect engine. Varrying opinions as to acceptable amount of loss. The less the better. It helps pinpoint leaks in seals, gaskets, case halfs where sealed, or revels damage from broke pistons, rocks, etc. If the compressed air can leak out, air can leak in causing an extreme lean condition which will melt your piston and blow the motor X(

I am not using the correct oil either. I am using motor oil. Haven't had a chance to get Yamalube at a dealer yet. Maybe he oil is too thin? Causing it to run up the vent tube.

Motor oil of 10w30 without friction modifiers is one of the correct oils one can use,Yamalube 4 is a motor oil.

650ml no more, no less!